1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hunting, how do you do it ? Not the hunt, but the other things.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

There is a substantial variation in the meat on gamebirds. Some birds have white meat and dark meat (fast twitch) on them, like pheasants. Some birds are all red meat. The white meat is more delicate and a susceptible to drying out during cooking if not careful, and it needs less time and prep before cooking.

All red meat birds like ducks, geese, and sharptail grouse can stand more time hanging, draining, soaking and marinating. We have woodcock here, and they are called les becasses in France, and they need prep work and care in cooking.

Ruffed grouse probably has the best meat of any game bird in N. America and one can pretty much harvest them, clean them, and cook them shortly thereafter. I would still try to soak them in salt water a while before cooking them to draw out the myoglobin. Quail can be cooked shortly after harvest as well.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    johnny k and Stubee like this.
  2. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Grouse and pheasant I don't waste time on quail. Not enough meat.

johnny k likes this.
  3. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I haven't hunted since I was a kid, but I have been the beneficiary of those that do in my Scout troop, especially when I was the Scoutmaster. Lots of venison care packages, sausages, ground meat, and jerky. I miss those, but our new Scoutmaster gets them now.

johnny k likes this.
  4. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I hunt some small game but mostly whitetail deer. I hunt in NW Ontario on 330A I own and another 700A a friend owns. I also hunt in MI, both at a camp I’m a member of and also on public land around my hometown. I hunt with rifle and bow. Around my hometown I’ll go out for just a morning or afternoon sit, but my Canada camp is a 10-12 day hunt and I’ll spend a week + at my Michigan camp. If I get a buck away from my home I’ll usually hang it for a few days if the weather permits. Since I hunt out of a camp I eat like about anybody except with a pretty early start. I have eaten meals from deer taken the same day, especially liver. I do share a little bit with friends but more family, as we all like venison and it’s often my “main course”. I only shoot what we can eat, and in fact last season’s venison loin was “what’s for dinner” the past two nights.

I grew up in a non-hunting family but for some inexplicable reason became intensely interested in it as a little boy, and basically taught myself how to hunt through a lotta time in the woods. I’ll be leaving for our MI camp tomorrow and will be missing my Ontario camp more than I can put into words. AD7DE093-2A78-4AD5-9646-2BBF2E33256C.jpeg

johnny k, spurgie79 and loco gringo like this.
  5. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

I used to hunt a lot. Kinda lost my fervor for it after military service. I'd say I prefer small game hunting to hunting deer. If you do a big game hunt right, you fire one shot. A day in the woods chasing squirrels with a .22 is much more fun. I honestly never cared if I got anything while hunting. It's about being out there. Yes, you can eat deer the same day but it's probably best to let it age a few days. You guys can have my share of head cheese...

johnny k and spurgie79 like this.
  6. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

I honestly don’t know how people prefer venison to beef. Grind it. Grind it all for summer sausage. The kind with jalapeños and cheese.

Other than that, I agree with you fellas.

johnny k and Crowcaster like this.
  7. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

Driving up to Fort Collins tomorrow with the dog to hunt Blue grouse up in the mountains. Should be pretty warm by the time we get up there and I'll be a good 1600' higher than my house elevation. I suspect if I shoot one or two, I'll hang them for around 5 days before prepping.

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Because I live in the valley, which is about 60 to 70 miles from any good hunting spots, my hunting game plan would be to go a couple of days early. Then I would set up camp, do some reconnoitering of the terrain, and look for fresh sign of deer, and where they had been traveling.

Here in our part of the country, the only time you're likely to have a look at a deer is very early in the morning, say a little while before sunup, and a little while after. During the day, the only way you're likely to see one is if you flush one out of his hiding place. They are nocturnal animals in their feeding habits, and bed up during the day. The other time of day when the hunting is good is the last hour of the day.

I used to take along some material, I don't remember what it was even called but it was kind of a netting fabric. When you took a deer, you'd hang him up in by a tree limb, gut him, bleed him out, remove the tarsal glands, and cover him with the netting and let him hang for a while.

Fresh heart and liver from a young deer make a good breakfast along with some eggs and hash browns. I never took my dogs to the mountains during deer season, they would likely be shot by the group that poses as hunters from the big city. I miss the time in the mountains, but like everything else it's changed, and changed a lot. I used to go hunting, and see maybe another hunter or two. Now, they need a game warden to direct traffic.

johnny k likes this.
  9. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't read everything but thank you for keeping it in withing the tracks. You all have earned a ;) than i will personnaly lick and stick to your front heads.

It sounds like i am kidding but no, i am not.

edit now i have read everything, and though i don't like hunting (which i have never done ) I would like to thank you for the stories. Some of those stories read like a book. Thank you !

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    spurgie79 likes this.
  10. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks a lot for sharing. It is more about bonding than hunting. To which i agree wholse heartedly.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    Allan Allan likes this.
  11. nadnitram

nadnitram Tele-Meister

Deer hunting?

My cousin Ray: "Hell, it was four in the mornin', 22 degrees outside. 'Course, you weren't there. Pu**y. I'm in a camouflaged deer blind. I've got grease paint on my face and deer urine on my boots. I'm not sure why." (I made that part up.) "I've got a 30-06 with a laser scope. This baby will fire a bullet 2200 feet per second. When that deer looked up to lick the salt sucker I hunged from the danged ol' tree... caught him right above the eye."

Me: "Yeah, well, I hit one with a van goin' fifty-five miles an hour with the headlights on and the horn blowin'! Whoo, that's an elusive creature! If you ever miss one, it's because the bullet's moving too fast. Slow that bullet down to 55 miles an hour, put some headlights and a little horn on it, the deer will actually jump in front of the bullet."

With apologies to Ron White

johnny k likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Something I should have said about hunting, any kind of hunting. If you stay with it and study it, and truly become a hunter, you have experienced what it is like to take charge of your own existence. Not fully, because you have modern convenience to use that allow you to be more successful at it. To kill, and dress an animal, then consume it is how many people used to live every day. To catch a fish, clean it and cook it for yourself is what people used to have to do to eat. Even though it's kind of make believe compared to really existing on your own craft to be able to do it at all is an accomplishment. It can give you a sense of satisfaction like no other. My dad was a master at living off the land, I have just enough of his genes in me, I could probably survive, but he would have prospered where I only survived.

The things I learned training dogs to hunt and follow my commands, have helped even recently with Alex. He could simply not be allowed off the leash when I got him, but I worked with him using techniques from my hunting with hounds days(none of them involving physical punishment) until now he can be off the leash even when company comes. It's great to let him outside to greet the visitors without having to go and chase him down. Now every evening, as a reward when we are a couple of hundred feet from out house on our walk, I let him off the leash, and he runs around happily, then follows me to the door. If I get to the door first, all I have to do is say Alex in a firm voice, and he comes running.

johnny k likes this.
  13. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I could not kill any thing if i wanted to , if I lived back up north in the yukon , I could see purpose as safeways and overwaitees appear to be 100's of mile away ,and I love the deer in my back yard , grouse etc . but if I was camping in the rhubarb I could live cmfortably on my fishing skills no problem , catch what i need, no more , I never saw spitting bullets at a mjestic animal as sport , nor sitting in a tree dressed like a bush spreading pheramones on the ground to attract them then shooting them as a sport , but then again I dont like football, baseball or hockey either

JMHO

johnny k and Toto'sDad like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.