Hungry Robot Pedals - El Castillo (Pitch Shifting Reverb)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by abunchofpedals, Apr 14, 2018.

1. abunchofpedals

abunchofpedals Tele-Meister

I got this a while ago and it was just recently released. It's a pitch shifting reverb but you can quantize the shifting to up an octave, down an octave or both. You can also turn off the quantize and use the pitch knob to select different frequencies... it gets weird, the good weird. There's an option to add delay to the shifting (up to 800ms). I'd recommend it for someone who want a cool ambient reverb.

What do you all think of Hungry Robot Pedals?

jddub440 likes this.
  2. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Afflicted

I have an old Hungry Robot Bumblebee drive pedal that's flexible and pretty cool. It has two drive stages - one low gain, one high gain - which can be stacked. Low gain by itself gives nice creamy overdrive. High gain by itself is modern style OD with punch and sustain. And when both are switched on it behaves like a good distortion pedal. Plus the thing has good 3-band EQ. Very versatile, a good Swiss-army type drive pedal.

I often say that if I didn't know what amp would be provided or what type of tones would be required and I could only bring one drive pedal to cover all the bases, this is the one I'd take along.

3. abunchofpedals

I've always wanted to try one of their drive pedals. There's so many choices when it comes to OD pedals that it makes my head spin. Maybe I should try one out.

4. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Afflicted

The Bumblebee excels at pushing a driven amp. I like it a lot- as I said, very flexible tonewise. The downside to that kind of versatility is that it doesn't have one distinctive personality of its own. It's purely a drive pedal and not amplike in feel the way some modern drives are, so IMO it wouldn't be the best choice for use as a primary tone engine through a clean amp, for instance. I have other pedals when I want a specific character- Marshally, or TS-ish, or blackfacey, or Mufflike.

But for sustainy leads or a little grit or nice harmonic-feedback-on-demand or even simply as a clean-boost-with-EQ, the Bumblebee is very useful indeed.

5. abunchofpedals

I'll have to try one out eventually. Right now my go to OD is a HoneyBee clone I built a really long time ago.

6. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

‘Tis a good weird. Likely out of my price range...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.