Hung by the neck until dead?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by tpaul, Jul 30, 2005.

1. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

I'm having some tele hanging problems, guys:

I have a couple of those "string swing" type guitar wall hangers, basically it's a block of wood with a single padded Y-shaped hanger sticking out that pivots, and the guitar's headstock is supposed to keep it from slipping through.

The problem is, the Tele's headstock has no "shoulder" on one side. My teles keep twisting in the hanger and slipping down. I'm afraid they're going to fall...one already took a dive from a similar home-made hanger I had it in, fortunately only minor damage... but I don't trust these things.

I've thought about tying a string around the headstock at the neck, and looping the other end around the hanger, but then if it does fall it will still bang against the wall. There are those little rubber doohickeys that are supposed to keep the guitar on the hanger - they go across the two forks of the Y shape - but I'm not sure I really trust them to hold the guitar if it twists sideways and slips down. I thought about wrapping rubber bands around each arm of the Y, so the guitar can't twist - haven't tried it yet.

Does anyone have a better system, or is there a hanger specifically designed for the Tele headstock? These things seem like they're really meant for a six-on-a-side headstock.

Any ideas?

2. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

Don't worry....

I've had my teles in string swings for years....it looks scary but I've NEVER had one fall.

3. DlxNashvilleLuvr

DlxNashvilleLuvr Tele-Holic

I say, surrender the idea of hanging up your Teles. Get one of those Warwick seven-guitar stands. I'm going to get one of those as soon as I clear enough space in the basement to put one. I've heard hanging guitars by their necks really isn't good for them, anyhow.

4. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

I've seen people squeaze the forks together so that a Tele fits better, but I still don't think a Tele should ever be hung that way. My Muddy suffered a good bit of damage this way when it was in the store before I bought it. Because of the damage, I got it for cost. A good store will have Teles on stands on the floor, and hang the other guitars from the wall.

5. titus

titus Tele-Meister

My first week with my new 52RI and it slipped
    out of one of those and drove the end pin in a
    1/4 inch. Ouch. I have Shaller strap locks, so
    after tightening it up, it's just fine.....but I don't
    hang it anymore. Stands are good.

-Titus

6. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Well, if it wasn't for those string hangers, I could never have afforded my new (at the time) '52 Reissue. It fell off of one of them at Guitar Center, dinged it up a bit, so they sold it to a guy who immediately sold it to me for $450.

But other than that, I can't recommend them.

7. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The type of hanger I bought has ridges in the rubber covering on the forks so that the edge of the headstock grabs it a little bit and doesn't slip. I've never had a problem with it, and it's been about 3 years.

You might try rubber washers that stretch over the forks so that the headstock can't twist and slip past them. The String Swing brand hangers have them built in already, though it looks like you might need to move them up the forks a bit.

[​IMG]

8. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

UHHhhhhhhhhh...?

You do have the yoke loose...so it can swivel freely, don't you ?....thats the whole purpose of the String Swing..(ie Swing)...it was invented just for Fender type headstocks...they are also meant to be bent in or out slightly, to allow for different neck widths....I've had Teles on String Swings for 10 years...with nary a problem.......maybe its just Me ???

9. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, that's what I need - rubber washers!

Thanks, Eryque... I'll look for some of those. I wonder if they sell them separately? ...naw, probably not.

10. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I bet you can find something suitable in the plumbing section of the hardware store, though...

Good luck!

11. 0le FUZZY

0le FUZZY Former Member

<li>Make a shelf and lean em up again the neck hanger.
    <li>I haff hung hunnerts of em and ain't dropped won yet.
    <li>Onlee time I ever droped won waz years ago a trynna use won of them P-O-C wall hangers. Never again I gar-on-told.

HANG EM HIGH !

(Boxes I don't care about, lettum fall and go BO-IO-IO-IO-ING)

[​IMG]

Please visit my page

12. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Fuzzy, I have shown that picture to my wife a few times to justify my collection. Never works, though!

Looks like I'm going to get my own music room, though, if this house buying thing goes through.

13. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here's one I made. The two notches on either side keep the guitar from twisting. The notches were made with a router cove bit. All sharp contact points were then rounded by sanding.

[​IMG]

14. KingPussBlues

KingPussBlues Tele-Holic

The legs of the support will bend...

Just squeeze them together to fit your Tele headstock. Worked for me!

Good Luck!

John :)

15. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Friend of Leo's

THat's why you see many Teles with dents on the bottome.

30th St Guitars on NYC just gave up...all Teles reside on stands on the floor.

16. halouis

halouis Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

::knocking on virtual wood::

i've never had a problem with the swing hangers. yes the rubber washers are good. Key is to angle the swing so the left side is lower and the right higher. then it will hold it no problem. Once you get the "hang" of it (pun intended) you wont even have to think about it. Of course if you live in an earthquake prone area, i'd say do not do it.

17. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

Tele Drops

I got my 52RI at GC in Attleboro Mass. It had fallen and dinged up the bottom. When I asked the salesman about it he said "oh, it happens all the time. That's why we hang 'em low now" :eek: (I'm thinking "what about guitar stands?")

I immediately asked my friend to go try out some basses and bass amps (directly across from the hanging Telecasters) if you get my drift.

Harvest time!

Fret

18. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

Take a look at the Hercules Auto-Grab Systems, you have to see one work to believe it. They make wall hanger versions that I plan to buy for my next guitar (before I run out of floor space and the wife decides something needs to go, or the evil vacuum cleaner attacks).

Check out models GSP38WB(wood base), GSP39WB(metal base), GSP40WB(extended metal base with swivel). The others have the same Grabber but the bases are for commercial wall mounting (anybody listening, GC?).

http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/hangers.html

I bought one for my acoustic (GS414B) and was so impressed I went back and bought one for my Tele (GS412B), and they work great. The stands are well made, easy to adjust, and very stable, and the well padded Auto Grab design and size is fine for a Tele headstock.

http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/floorstands.html

Since the body of the guitar isn't supported by anything on the stand they basically work like a wall hanger. I gave it a good test, set up so my Tele was only a few inches from the carpet floor, I shook, swung, and wiggled the stand, and then the guitar separately, and it didn't fail.

I love these things. I bought mine at a local shop, but I've seen them at the big online stores too.

19. jjmantele

jjmantele Tele-Holic

Swing

I twist the swing as I'm hanging a Tele so it grips safer. I was afraid to squeeze them thinking they might snap instead of bending. No problems here.

Of course the '63 Epi and the giant head '82 Strat have no issues with this swinging thing.

20. JBandtheSalts

JBandtheSalts Tele-Holic

ive had a tele drop out of one of those things twice, so i dont even use them anymore, but at a guitar shop i worked at, for the teles, we would put the hanger in a vice and squeeze them closser together, which always seemed to do the trick...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.