Humourous Interjections from Musicians

Tele-beeb

Friend of Leo's
Saw a comedy show last night. They had a house band that did several songs… the guitarist played a variety of melodic and tasteful chords, licks and solos.
Notably, the guitarist occasionally played humorous interjections to place an exclamation on funny occurrences, many of these were completely ad-lib and improvised on the spot.
Example: he played a short group of double-stops like you might hear on Scooby-doo to sound spooky… and Dixie when someone mentioned a southern state.
I wondered if we would benefit sharing this type of sound effect here?
Do you play cool add-in sound effects?

SlimGrady

TDPRI Member
Gene and Eddie by the Stray Cats also does this sort of thing and it’s pretty fun.

It is is a fun thing to do the “cat call” whistle thing on guitar when a song talks about a woman or something. Those sort of funny interjections.

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
Perhaps the most fantastic musical performance involving quoting other songs was Ella Fitzgerald’s astonishing performance in Berlin in 1960, when she forgot the lyric of Mack the Knife and began a five-minute scat that used bits of 40 to 50 songs, sometimes lyrics and sometimes a piece of a solo, all made to fit the rhythm and harmony at the point of insertion.

Here’s a somewhat pedantic overview, with the music starting at about 3:40.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
What's the deal with jazz cats quoting "Pop Goes The Weasel?" Is it an in-joke or something?

39C96528-8E7E-49A3-A62B-FC79A74809AE.jpeg

Junkyard Dog

Friend of Leo's
I always try to sneak in a bar or two of Christmas melodies into guitar solos (e.g. Jingle Bells into Can't You See) whenever I play gigs that time of year.