Humorous/crazy hijinks by an artist you’ve witnessed at concerts

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
Not hijinks but Pat Travers was so hung over one night he went back and leaned on his amp. Then took a 20 minute backstage. Finally finished a pretty good show.

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Peter Grant and Richard Cole beat one of Bill Graham's employees to near death for no reason...they didn't beat up a random audience member who attacked their employer, who they were acting as bodyguards for. Big difference.
No it's not - its assault any way you paint it.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
NRBQ was fun, they clowned around a lot. They did a song called Wacky Tobacky, about the joys of smoking cigarettes. The whole band and most of the crowd would light up. It got really smoky.

UMass used to have these awesome annual all-day spring concerts. In '80 or so NRBQ opened the show, I think Bonnie Raitt and the Allman Bros played later. NRBQ started the show at about 11:00 in the morning. They all came out in their PJs and slippers. Al Anderson had a big box of Duncan donuts, they were stuffing their faces and drinking coffee. I miss those guys.

NRBQ played at the venue where I used to work a number of times in the 1990s. One time they had a horn section with them, two old guys who had been in Sun Ra's Arkestra. They were confined to a tiny little area on stage between Terry's amp and the drum riser.

At one point in the show the sax player did a full backflip within his tightly defined area on stage. Dunno if it was a normal part of the act or not, the four NRBQ guys sure acted like they were surprised.

Last edited:

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
Jethro Tull at the Omni in Atlanta, mid to late 70's, The lights went down, and Ian Anderson came onstage with a single spotlight on him and made the announcement: "So that everyone can enjoy the show equally, we must request that you remain seated when that band is playing. It's actually quite simple, If people start standing up during the music, the music stops, when everyone sits down, the music continues." If I remember correctly, they never had to stop.

I saw the Kiss/Aerosmith show years ago.
From the slanted lawn some guy came up behind me and asked if I would sit down so him and his buddies could see.
I told him I'd be glad to if he could get all those people in front of me to sit down so I could see.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
not really the artist doing the action but… my uncle took me to see Tom jones a little over ten years ago

There was a certain part of the set where all the ladies in the audience started to throw undergarments on stage

Kind of a hoot to see that from a bunch of 60+ year old women

Also was a pretty rockin show

SuprHtr

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
In the early 80s I saw The Replacements open for the Violent Femmes at a small club in Atlanta. Bob Stinson was wearing a woman’s housecoat and didn’t bother tying the belt. He wore nothing else and was pretty well exposed for most of the show. The back of the robe had a sketch of an ape covering his eyes with one hand and pleasuring himself with the other. It may have been drawn by Chris Mars.

The better story was when Patti Smith had her Atlanta debut show. For the encore, her cover of “Gloria” by Them, John Cale came out to play bass. He appeared to be drunk and was staggering around, eventually spinning really fast while playing. His feet got tangled up in Lenny Kaye’s guitar cable and he fell down, simultaneously unplugging Lenny. Lenny was pissed off, understandably, and starting kicking at John. Good times!

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Local concerts:

Seattle Slim: There used to be a pimply faced younger guy playing Blues in Western Washington, maybe 20 years ago. He went by Seattle Slim. Always had a red blazer and played a red ES335. Good player and showman.
He'd often end up on the bar playing and dancing along. But once I saw him on the penninsula in a logging town bar.
He had wireless rig and eventually he walked out the door and stood playing in the middle of the street on the white line. Meanwhile all these rugged logger types were driving their jacked up pickups by on either side of him staring... and thinking "WTH?"
I don't know, it just struck me funny at the time.

Another time, and less of a show, it was me: We were playing a club/restaurant and my Sis and husband were there. (RIP)
Sis and I were always playing jokes on each other our entire lives. Here in the lounge at the Farmhouse Inn at the corner behind the stage was an exit door.
We were playing a song and Sis was getting a kick out of it all. I had my wireless rig, so during the song I slowly exited the door outside while she was watching and pointing. Long story short, I came back in while playing and pretended to zip up my pants like I had went out and done that! Sis was rolling with laughs and couldn't believe it!

Old Verle Miller

Tele-Meister
Vince Gill explaining the story behind his dad's opinion of his career and how he once gave Vince a great title for a country song: "It's Hard To Kiss The Lips At Night That Chewed Your Ass Out All Day Long." The whole thing is hilarious.

Blue Bill

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I just remembered one: We saw Root Boy Slim (remember Boogie Till You Puke?) at the legendary Rusty Nail in W Mass. He got so weenie-faced, he could barely stand. At one point, during the middle of a song, he got hold of a roll of duct tape and started wrapping his guitar player in tape, like a mummy. The guy was not amused; I thought he might punch him in the kisser. I think the guitar guy walked off stage for a while, RBS sat down with his legs hanging off the stage, and mumbled nonsense till he came back. LOL!!!

large_10463911_295004910671241_5023995905969501647_n-2.jpeg

ab2012

Tele-Holic
I’m a big Clapton fan . First time I saw him in 1977 at Nassau coliseum. He was so drunk he was leaning and then sitting by his amps. Lying on the stage. Very disappointed. Every time after that he was great.

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
This is pretty tame relatively but when I saw R.E.M. in about 1987 Michael Stipe came out with a long heavy trench coat on and then slowly peeled away maybe 4-5 layers of clothing during the show and ended up with a white T-shirt that I think had "Amber Waves of Gain" scrawled on it with a marker.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
This goes back to around '88 in a small bar named the "Zoo Bar". The artist was Jason D. Williams who is the reincarnation of Jerry Lee Lewis and puts one one hell of a show.

Anyway, this is a small venue that held maybe 50 people. After the 3rd song, Williams stopped playing claiming that something wasn't right. Then he told everyone to stand on top of the tables and said that he would keep playing until the 8th person fell off.

Everytime some drunken sole slipped on the table and did a header to the floor, Williams would stop playing and call out the score before starting up again. By the end of the night, there was quite a bit of carnage, but he played a 4 hour set all the way through without breaks.

It was extra memorable because I threatened to kick his ass before the show. I didn't know the guy and was holding a bar stool for my buddy who went to the bathroom. Williams walked in and tried to take the seat. I brushed him away and he asked if I knew who he was? Well, the guy is not very tall and I told him that he looked like a bleeder to me. He grabbed a beer and walked off only to show up on stage a few minutes later. He roasted me a few times from the mic in jest and I deserved it.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The other would be during the Springsteen concert in Omaha about a decade ago. Bruce likes to call up the local music stars for a duet on stage and this town really only has one....Conor Oberst. A great songwriter and well liked one, but his moment on stage with Bruce was a disaster.

Bruce called him to the stage and he staggered out so wasted that he just sat down on the stage and drooled. Bruce kept singing and Steven was tasked with trying to get Conor to his feet and singing, but it wasn't really working.

Halfway through the song, Conor finally stood up and started wandering around the stage mumbling incoherently before sitting back down again.

Staff from back stage gave him the hook immediately after the song.