Hummmmm

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by schmee, Jul 23, 2019.

1. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

So I have a small pedalboard with multi effect, OD and two Ditto loopers for Duo gigs. I noticed in the garage today that things were humming. I also noticed if I turn the OD ON, it's dead silent. Humbucker guitar. Go figure.
    Any thoughts on why it hums with the OD OFF?
    I would expect the opposite.

Another weird thing I didnt realize until today. If I have a loop playing back, turning the guitar up (playing over the loop) makes the loop louder. Whaaa?
    Guitar>Looper> Amp. Not logical either.

2. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Are the pedals connected in series? That is:

Guitar>multi-effect>OD>Ditto 1>Ditto 2>amp

• Has this hum happened before, or is it a recent occurrence?
    • What type of power source(s) are you using for these pedals?
    • How new or old are the patch cables between them?
    • How new or old is the cable from your guitar to the multi-effect (or whatever the first effect is)?
    • How new or old is the cable from second Ditto to your amp?

3. schmee

Has this hum happened before, or is it a recent occurrence?
    I notice it now and then and frankly not sure if it's always there. I dont remember it at gigs so far.
    But what has me weirded out is having the hum with the OD off. You'd think it would be with it on.
    What type of power source(s) are you using for these pedals?
    Just a wall wart.
    How new or old are the patch cables between them?
    Old mostly
    How new or old is the cable from your guitar to the multi-effect (or whatever the first effect is)?
    New, other cable is the same.
    How new or old is the cable from second Ditto to your amp?
    New

I need to do some more diagnosis obviously. I just thought of it and made this comment. I'll put another OD in there and see if the same reaction occurs.

My other comment really surprised me, and I have noticed at gigs sometimes that the looper track seems too loud. Probably due to turning up a bit to solo over the loop. Yesterday I noticed that the looper volume is driven by the guitar volume EVEN WHEN THE LOOP IS ALREADY RECORDED AND NO LONGER RECORDING. That seems totally weird to me and I can't really logic how it even works that way. I guess it's a Ditto thing. You'd think it would be just like a recording set at the recorded volume.

4. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

You need an isolated power supply.

certain pedals, when used with other certain pedals, create all kinds of issues if they are on a daisy chain...

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

My initial reaction is that dual loopers could cause some havoc. I think you would have to manage their use with a lot of thought before hand.

6. schmee

It takes some thought for sure. But I just use them separately and have dedicated kill switches so as not to get problematic when singing and looping etc! Immediate kill without a double tap etc.
    With two I can do an instrumental "intro" backing track and solo intro over it, then off and do the song body for a real solo later if I want. It works well.
    [​IMG]

Obsessed likes this.
  7. schmee

I've not had that issue on my big board, but maybe I'll try with a battery on the OD and see what happens.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Got it. I use two loopers in series once in awhile, that made me think about what could happen, but I see that you fully understand the method. Nice.

9. schmee

I dont know, I think it's my garage. I tried cords, power supplies, different amps today no change. I even tried a Variac on the amp to isolate the power. No change.

10. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

Try it someplace else? You didn't notice at gigs, so garage seems likely.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.