1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hummmmm

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by customxke, Sep 27, 2012.

1. customxke

customxke Tele-Meister

Having trouble sorting out a hum on a guitar I just built. It's wired unlike anything I've ever done, so maybe someone can help me sort it. It has a hum that goes away when I touch the pickups, or jack. It doesn't go away when when I touch the strings or tailpiece. The hum is really, really loud, but I can use the tone control on my amp to get rid of it (treble ALMOST off....it comes back if I dump the treble completely...and the same thing happens on 3 different amps). When I have 2 pickups on, it almost goes away, and is bearable. Its not directional, meaning, it doesn't change when I move around the room, nor does it vary when I get close to the amp or another power source. Its on a Bigsby inspired double neck. 6 string neck grounds go to that necks volume, as does the TP ground for that neck, and from volume to jack. 5 string neck pickup ground goes to that neck's volume, as does that neck's TP, and from volume to jack. I've redone all solder joints. Thoughts?

2. joshwertheimer

joshwertheimer TDPRI Member

Do you have a meter? Check continuity between the jack ground and the strings.

3. customxke

customxke Tele-Meister

reading .7ohms.

4. customxke

customxke Tele-Meister

Never mind. Got it. Cracked lug on the volume pot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.