Hummingbird Don't Fly Away

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rsclosson, Aug 5, 2020.

1. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

I've been teleworking since the first of April. Right at my window is a cigar plant which attracts hummingbirds, bees and butterflies like crazy.

There are several hummingbirds that visit daily and drink of the nectar of the beautiful bush. One of them regularly hovers at my window and stares at me for several seconds before flying away.

There is really not much of a point to this story except that it brings me a moment of joy when I see it, and joy is something we all could really use a daily does of at this time.

frank a, Deathray, RomanS and 3 others like this.
  2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I've got some hummingbirds that hang around the plants on my deck occasionally. One hovered two feet in front of my face for a few seconds the other day. It zipped away as soon as I moved a little, they're very shy.

One of nature's miracles.

3. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

They are very interesting creatures. We feed them every year while they're here. One usually shows up in early spring and will come hover at a window where the feeder usually is to let us know they're back and we feed them until they leave in the fall.

My brother is a potter and for many years did art shows/craft shows/street festivals etc. and has a large pickup truck with a shell on the back to carry his work to and from shows. One afternoon after a show he was unloading his truck and when almost empty, he noticed a hummingbird in the back of the truck, seemingly trapped and couldn't get out but was banging against a window. My brother eased up into the truck bed and reached out to the bird and held his finger out for it to light on. Well, that is just what it did. It lit on his finger and he slowly backed out of the back of the truck and the bird looked at him for a second and flew off. He immediately returned and got right up in my brothers face and just hovered for probably 10 seconds before leaving for good. It was almost like he was thanking him for getting him out.

4. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We have feeders, and really enjoy the hummingbirds that come to visit us! They are very feisty, like to fight each other over who gets to feed. On several occasions, one has come up and hovered 10-12" away from my face and just looked at me haha

hummingbird.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Dan R, teletimetx, Deathray and 4 others like this.
  5. Titletone

Titletone Tele-Meister

They usually show up here around mother's day every spring, and I have several feeders out before they arrive. Around June, I like to sit in the back yard and watch them chase each other around, fighting for territory. One time, I was standing on the deck and observed two of them flying at each other high up in the branches of a maple tree. When the loser of the fight flew away over the neighbor's house, the winner looked right at me and flew toward me at lightning speed, stopping a few inches from my face and giving me a look like "Hey, buddy- you want some of this?". They are scrappy little things, almost like the tiny dog that thinks it's twice as big as it really is.

6. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

They pass through the Gulf Coast region on their migrations to and from Central America. April and September are the months we get to see them. We look forward to seeing them. There have been some epic wars over feeders in the past. They also go nose to nose with our dogs in the big front window. Big stare down.

Deathray and rsclosson like this.
  7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Hummingbirds are cool.
    In recent years I’ve been putting up purple Martin houses.
    Several dozen birds inhabited this spring.
    I love hearing them chatter and sing.

rsclosson and Deathray like this.
  8. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

F989862F-D5C6-4B07-AB60-F96EABD1C6E5.jpeg I’m a fan of hummingbirds too. I just wish they would learn to share instead of fighting each other.

And Hummingbird by Seals and Croft’s keeps running through my head...

rsclosson likes this.
  9. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

We have two hummingbird feeders. We get the hummingbirds, sugar birds, and honey bees. We had a family/colony of them in a hibiscus about 15’ from the feeders. For some reason one of the yard guys cut it way back and the group has moved on to somewhere else

We’ve had them buzz us and come close and just hover in front of you. Jackie had one hover behind her and said the noise from the wings was very disconcerting

rsclosson likes this.
  10. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

Interesting to see the uptick in bird watching that's occurred since many of us have been sent home to work. I've heard often lately that it's been an unusually active year for wildlife but the truth is that we're just looking out of our windows more. I welcome it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    D'tar and rsclosson like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.