Humidifying....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jared Purdy, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Greetings, I just noticed that my (Strat) has fret protrusion, which I'm assuming is from humidity issues. Any somewhat speedy recommendations? Cheers.

2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Do you run a humidifer? Place it in a humidified room at 45-50% and it will likely recover in a day or so. My travel guitar does that in the winter, but once back in the home studio which stays at 72 degrees and 45% RH the condition fixes itself in a couple of days.

3. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

This is a fair statement, I keep my instruments in a room at 50% humidity and never have problems

If placing it in a humidified room doesn’t help it’s time to dress the end of the frets

Edit: dang, Milspec 72 degrees?

Milspec and Jared Purdy like this.
  4. Jared Purdy

Thanks, guys. Ya, a room humidifier needs to happen. Wife will have to adjust to the equipment. :)

Fretting out likes this.
  5. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

Sooo, what equipment do you recommend / prefer for a room dehumidifier?? Separate from the A/C and Heater system your house may have. I am not talking about a closet or some hooks over a bath tub behind a plastic curtain. I have been looking for a system that does not need extensive plumbing and has the capability to work for several days at the time without refilling or attending to it. I am planning to move to Arizona/ Nevada soon and I found out about fret sprout after one guitar that I left there suddenly had the frets sticking out on both sides by a mile. They did not " shrink" and I had to get the frets filed down just in order for the guitar to be playable. Luckily it was just a run-of-the-mill guitar and not one " of the other kind".

Jared Purdy likes this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

If it's just a Strat you're worried about ... get a file and fix the fret ends once while it's dry. You'll never see them again.

7. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am not a fan of the whole house systems that inject water into the hvac system...seen way too many of those things fail and leak. In my case, my home studio is located in a converted bedroom without any ductwork (I closed them off) so the temperature and humidity is static and without dust blowing around.

I can get by with a 2.5 gallong evaporative humidifer in the winter, but will need to fill it every 2 days to maintain 45% - 50%. Last year I ran a 5.4 gallon model that would last me nearly a week at a time, but the fan fried on it last November and all I could find local was the smaller model. Just find yourself a large capacity unit and buy a bulk of filters for it online.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Jared Purdy and Kontaktmoi like this.
  8. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Maple, or rosewood board.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  9. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If you have a rosewood board, treat it with some fretboard oil, and see if that helps.

10. Jared Purdy

Cool, thanks.

11. Jared Purdy

Maple, birds eye neck.

12. Jared Purdy

I've looked into this in the past, but never acted on it. We have a humidifier attached to the furnace, but it's clearly not doing what it's intended to do as the relative humidity is less than 30% in the winter. I don't run AC in the summer, so it's never a problem here in the stupefying humidity of Toronto. I've been in a couple of stores lately that had portable floor units. They come in all shapes and sizes. Also, I should probably keep the guitar in the case, though I'm not sure if that would make any difference because everything in the house is affected by the dryness, including the case. I may try buying a couple of Oasis humidifiers for it and put it in the case every day for a couple of weeks and see what comes of it.

13. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

Yes, I also checked out that integrated solution but as you say, now you will have to run your AC/ Heater system just to get the humidifier to run, I also heard that, if you have HARD water, the water pipes will start to get sediment and over time you won 't get anything there either. A floor mounted model and a dedicated room seems to be the solution and they are quite cheap, just that you have to be there to fill the tank. So the larger the water tank, the better if you will be away for some days at the time.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

‘Fret sprout’ is more the result of wood that was used prior to it being fully dried....it was greener than it should have been. As it dries, the wood shrinks. The metal of the frets does not shrink and therefore ‘sprouts’ out at the ends of the slots. There is no humidification that will cure the problem. The sprouted metal has to be removed with a file to be flush with the wood, a bevel has to be re-established, and then one dresses the ends of the frets. If there is any frets wear, one might as well have a level and dress job during which the sprouting gets taken care of.

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.