1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Humidifying during the furnace "season"...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jared Purdy, Nov 22, 2020 at 9:06 AM.

1. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Nice cabinet!! Where did you get that?

raysachs likes this.
  2. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Oh, OK. Oil-filled - that's the one that looks like an old radiator, right? No open heating coils.

Milspec and FenderLover like this.
  3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jared Purdy likes this.
  4. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I humidify my place in winter, it gets cold and dry here.

I'm not to worried about my guitars, outta more about my personal comfort for me. Fewer sore throats, and just did much more pleasant to live in with about 40% humidity.

A bit of a old fashioned method though... Wood stove with a water filled frying pan on top from time to time... 16060726163422803526784413917762.jpg

Jared Purdy likes this.
  5. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's an outfit called Acoustic Remedy - they're online. They're pretty expensive. This was the cheapest one they sold and I got it on sale, but it was still a lot more than I'd have thought I'd spend on something like that. But since I only needed one and I'd just sold a bunch of stuff, I sprung for it. And it's so convenient and makes life so easy it was definitely worth it.

-Ray

telemnemonics and Jared Purdy like this.
  6. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Jared Purdy likes this.
  7. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

That's some coin! They've got nice work, that's for sure. It's giving me an idea. A friend is a very talented wood worker. How do you humidify that?

8. otterhound

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't do humidity by numbers but you can pretty much tell if there's too much or too little, and also by how many gallons per day goes into the air.
    Too much and stuff gets damp followed by mold growing unless you habitually spray disinfectant antifungal stuff everywhere all the time.

If it gets too dry mid winter, just turn up the humidifier settings, run two, add a third etc as needed if you sense that the guitars are reacting.
    Check the neck relief on each guitar with a feller gauge and straight edge and write it on a piece of painters tape on the guitar.
    If they get too dry the relief will increase, so you crank up more humidity.

I do fine with one fan type that does a gallon a day, but I also have tons of house plants which helps.
    That in 1200sf with part separated so maybe 800sf has good humidity.

I would not put a humidifier in a small roomful of guitars because it can easily get too damp, or the guitars nearest the humidifier get more damp than the room average. A distance of maybe at least 4-6-8 feet depending on the unit might be fine but a small room might not allow that.

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Reality is, if your guitars are suffering from dryness, your comfort and health suffer too.

We have a whole house steam unit. Keeps things 40-48%. We feel better and so do my acoustics.

@otterhound - while Martin now sets the floor at 45, I figure 40 is better than most and good enough.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 10:17 PM
    Jared Purdy likes this.
  11. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's gotta be more or less vapor tight - these have a rubber gasket around the frame of the door that seals it off really well when it'c closed. Then again, it probably doesn't have to be THAT vapor tight - my hardshell case isn't all that sealed off and it maintains a steady humidity level really well.

I humidify them with the little two-way humidipaks that Boveda makes and both they and D'addario sell. They're inside the little grill type things sitting on the bottom of the case.

[​IMG]untitled-1-23 by Ray, on Flickr

Here's what they look like without the little enclosures:

[​IMG]0-2 by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

Jared Purdy likes this.
  12. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I live in the midwest where it gets super dry in the winter. I converted an internal bedroom into my home studio and closed off the air register so it didn't receive any hot air from the furnace. Instead, I have an oil-filled space heater and humidifer in that room while keeping the entry door closed when not in use. I maintain a steady 45% RH at 72 degrees all winter long that way. The himidifier holds 6 gallons and only needs refilled once per week. Has been working out great for me and my guitars and reduced dust levels as well.

The best part about keeping your home properly humidified is not just for the guitars, but to keep you healthy. Humidified spaces reduce viruses in the air by 35%. Something that makes even more sense today.

Jared Purdy and telemnemonics like this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Whenever somebody insists their guitars don't need special treatment I point out that humans have similar needs and it's good for us too.
    Interestingly humans grow less and less willing to care for ourselves as if our lives depended on it.

MilwMark and Milspec like this.
  14. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Holic

Our apartment has usually humidity between 10-20% except during summer, when it rises to 30-50%. Living above 60th parallel gives ever changing climate, anything from +30c to -30c.

It’s not a major problem, because I store my guitars in cases. Only couple of them are on stands and I rotate them on regular basis.

My acoustics sits all the time in case unless being played. I use those D’Addario’s humidipak pouches and they seem to do their job.

I’ve been thinking of buying humidifier at least to our bedroom, if not for guitars, then just for own comfort. Funny thing, one can buy +3000€ guitar without a blink of an eye, but buying 50-100€ humidifier seems to be too difficult and expensive.

Milspec and telemnemonics like this.
  15. otterhound

I wonder when they changed .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.