1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Humbuckers Vs Single Coils

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Loganloveguitar, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Loganloveguitar

Loganloveguitar Tele-Holic

this is the ultimate decision for me it has to be tele single coils because they do everything and p-90s get that single coil clean but have a nice gain sound .

Don't get me wrong I have 2 humbucker guitars that I love the sound of for heavier music and for when I want a more ballsy sound for riffs but If I had to choose one I think it would be single coils

how about you ?

2. JackP9284

JackP9284 TDPRI Member

Single coils as well! I like humbuckers, but if I could only ever have one for the rest of my life, it would be single coils

3. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I'd buy my Standard Tele with neck and center single coils and bridge humbucker. This way I've got the best of both worlds. I do like the single coils, but like every one else, I have an appreciation for humbuckers. I guess it all depends what the music is...

4. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

To me the only advantage humbuckers have over single coils is that they buck the hum. Otherwise, single coils all the way

5. Loganloveguitar

good point I like teles with humbucker bridges for when you need the power and the neck single coil for cleans and that hollow fender neck sound

6. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted

Humbuckers. You can make a humbucker sound thinner, but fattening up a single coil just doesn't work the same.

I used to pretty much only like the sound of single coils clean, but the more I play humbuckers, the more I like their clean sound.

7. Loganloveguitar

thats true too, I think a hybrid of both would be ideal would it not ? thank god for coil tapping like my Hagstrom super swede has

8. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

Both. Get a HB and split the coils.

9. mal paso

mal paso Banned

I'm a man who loves his fuzz, so..

Single coil, all the live long day

10. bigmuff113

bigmuff113 Friend of Leo's

Single coils. Jazzmaster pickups, P90s, strat and tele pups rule!

11. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted

Heh, funny how that works, I play with fuzz all the time and that's one of the reasons why I like humbuckers!

12. Loganloveguitar

I prefer fuzz with single coils as well but I never use fuzz these days its not even on my board

13. WildcatTele

WildcatTele Tele-Meister

Personally, I think humbuckers tend to sap all of the life and character out of a guitar's sound. Yes, I know, it's all about the player...Page, King (most of them), et. al. did just fine defining a sound with HB's and if you want the plastic, dull overdriven crunch you pretty much have to use them...but for me I've found I can be a lot more expressive and nuanced with single coils.

14. Loganloveguitar

personal opinion, I find humbuckers are just as good as single coils for different applications but like I said I also think single coils are the best overall , mostly Tele single coils

15. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

I like both, but I'm a humbucker guy at heart. With the right wiring, pots, and caps you can get them almost as bright and sparkley as a single coil, and the higher gain stuff, of course, has more "oomf" than a single to me.

But realistically, I couldn't give you a good reason why I prefer them, the humbucker sound just speaks to me....scratches just the right itch...I don't know??

like I said once before, its how the tone sort-of crawls up the back of your neck. But everyone, has their reasons for liking one or the other.

I would also like to point out that, sometimes its about how a particular guitar sounds, and not what stuff is in it.

16. Loganloveguitar

+1 , its how the sound speaks to you personally and how it becomes your sound

17. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

my TN-SPL Tele has a Humbucker in the neck and two CS texas specials or would have if i hadnt swapped a Van Zandt in the bridge .Its now the perfect Tele for me .Warm jazz and blues on the neck ,Hotter blues on the middle and twangy rock on the bridge ...sigh

18. NastyMojo

NastyMojo Tele-Afflicted

Humbuckers are over rated.. I am a Single Coil guy.

19. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a humbucker in the bridge position of my 12-string Tele (but use it in the split/single-coil setting most of the time), and I've got a humbucker in my "portable pedal steel" (a lap steel with a Duesenberg Multibender) - but I wired the coils in parallel, instead of in series as with a regular humbucker - those are the only two HB-equipped guitars I own!

On all my other humbucker guitars (SG, Cabronita-ish Tele, Gretsch Pro Jet), I replaced the HBs with HB-sized single coils.
    I simply don't get along with that pickup type (not even with Filtertrons, which are said to be relatively single-coil-ish, as far as HBs are concerned) - what I hate so much about them is how the low stings/wound strings (low E, A and D) sound; on very single HB-equipped guitar I ever tried, the low strings sounded dull, dry and thuddy, compared to the snappy, twangy, lively, stringy, crisp tones you get with most single coils (some over-wound P90s are almost as bad as humbuckers...)
    Sorry, I need my Duane Eddy/Luther Perkins-twang on the low strings, any pickup that kills that snap and twang is incompatible with my playing style!

That said, Firebird-style mini-humbuckers still have me intrigued - supposedly, those sound like beefed-up Strat single-coils. I'm curious whether they'd fulfill my "snappy, twangy bass string" requirements (never had a chance to play a Firebird yet...)

20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I prefer SC too, but I can only imagine how a similar thread would go on the LesPaul forum.

Teleka likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.