Humbuckers on Teles, but no Tele pickups in LPs?

sloppychops

Friend of Leo's
I know there are aftermarket LP shaped bodies routed for Tele pickups, but has anyone ever put Tele pickups in an actual Les Paul?

Seems like a really dumb thing to do, but I'm just curious if anyone has done this or seen it done.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
For some reason I had it stuck somewhere in the back of my brain that Mike Campbell had done this, but now I can’t find any references to it.

cometazzi

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Y'allz be forgetting about the Les Paul SL, right?

1664406022067.png

Also:

1664406070367.png

CupofJoe

TDPRI Member
I bought a plastic frame that held a single coil for my epiphone dot because I wasn’t sure yet about the sound of p90s … turns out I liked it and bought a set of Phatcat pick ups which are great. It gives you just an approximate sound but close enough to know and only cost $10 or so.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Strat pickups on an LP might be interesting, then we could have a "Hank Marvin plays Thin Lizzy's greatest hits" album in the shops for Christmas.

Gibson has had a few single coil Strat style guitars. Mostly lower level models with no cap like Jr's.

Sounds like you'd expect. Halfway between a Les Paul and a Strat.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
I built a couple of Maple capped guitars. One was a Tele that I put standard Tele pickups in. The maple cap really seemed to brighten the pickups substantially. I had those pups in a poplar bodied tele I had built and decided to swap those into the maple cap (the cap was right at 1/2" thick). I hated those pickups in that guitar, it was too ice picky if that is a thing.

Swapped them back into the poplar tele and they sounded great again and still reside there. BTW both guitars had the same wiring harness and the LP had a rosewood fretboard to boot.

I ended up putting some low output P90's in that Maple cap guitar and it sounded great.

Billy3

Tele-Afflicted
I really like the idea of a Tele bridge pup in a Lp style body 24 3/4 scale with a humbucker neck. Might just try it.