Humbuckers for a Mustang?

give me the toan

Tele-Meister
I'm currently in progress towards finishing my Jag-Stang build, all I need now are the pickups. It's basically a Mustang (same trem, 24" scale) with 1 tone, 2 volume knobs at 500k, and as stated 2 humbuckers, both with a 3-way switch for regular/split/series options. I can't figure out what humbuckers I want to put in though, but what I'm looking for are mid-heavy ones with high gain potential - aiming for the Green Day or Jawbreaker sound.

Senor Blues

TDPRI Member
The EMG Fat 55 set in a 24 inch scale with the SPC mid boost does that job and the mid boost of the SPC is pretty stellar. Mine with an EMG Tele switch, volume, tone, spc:

44A5E935-E7D5-4B1A-AC43-D8CF8633D411.jpeg

It’s a beast.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
You'd be surprised how much of a GD or Jawbreaker sound is just pedals.

Mustang humbuckers?
I reccomend 2 different ones:

20220508_230054.jpg
If I wasn't going to wire a HB×2 'Stang this way, I'd put a p94 at the neck and a hot PAF style one at the bridge.(which is frankly all I can use on the p-rails I have anyway, until I figure out what I knocked loose on the switch...)

Versatility is nice. I reccomend getting an idea of what style pickups you want, then ordering a set from Bootstrap.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
I can attest to Bootstrap: their Squeaky Clean P90s are fantastic! What do you mean by style of pickups though? I did state I'll be using 2 humbuckers
Style, flavor, etc. So some sort of paf, burstbucker, high output ceramic, or whatever you prefer. If you have a specific favorite, cool.

I'm a fan of Bootstrap Sweet Serranos for a hotter PAF, Gibson 57 classic/+ for smoother paf. Other options would be weirder/hotter stuff like a Duncan invader or a lace sensor bucker.
Running something hotter at the bridge than the neck works well, but there's a bit of a mad scientist type of thing mixing between types of pickups. It's a bit of a rabbit hole....

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Ebay specials.... sound pretty good, too... probably bought them for the look... the guitar kid in my school band I made it for rocked it at the district school of rock concert through a proper house set up ... the stage lights lit up the silver sparkle, too....:)

Valstang strung up1 small.jpg
valstang pickups.JPG