Humbucker sized p90 set €28 delivered!

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by TG, Sep 15, 2021.

1. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

...and they're fine.

I have a Harley Benton SC-Custom I got as a return B stock for pretty cheap. €189 or something. It's an ESP EC copy and it's quite nice. A little bit heavy for its size but it's very ergonomic with a satiny finish. Plays great and looks nice.
    Wasn't thrilled by the stock humbuckers so I took a chance on a super cheap set of gold finished humbucker size P90s off eBay for about €28 including delivery from China from a seller called Iris-Store. Any other gold ones I could find were nearly the price I paid for the guitar.

Showed up yesterday and to my surprise they work great. They look OK, they have braided wires...and they sound great. The guitar has come alive.

At that price YMMV....but if you are in the market for such a thing I would recommend taking a chance on them.

20210914_185311.jpg 20210914_185400.jpg

2. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Cool.
    At that price, give the dice a roll.

I'll file a report when my Klon klone from Wish dot com arrives sometime in October.
    $35 plus shipping, my dudes...
    No idea how to "test" it, as I've go no original available for a proper A/B. . .
    ;)
    Peace - Deeve

TG likes this.
  3. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

Wow, good catch! It's a good time to start learning guitar or bass - when I started back around '84, a guitar for that pricetag would be pretty much garbage. Harley Benton offers some junk, but A LOT fantastic gear - I sincerely hope, there no Charles Dickens'esque childlabour involved....

4. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Someone around here would know the details better than me, but apparently it doesn't cost all that much to make a pickup. The exorbitant prices we pay is mostly name and image....or so I've been told.
    So I'm guessing someone got ahold of a bunch of pickups off a factory and is selling them with a modest mark up. They may not come from that different a source than brand name pickups.

5. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Any idea on the specs? Alnico? Did you measure the resistance by any chance?

6. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

7. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

;) congratulations, I love a happy ending.
    somebody here a while back suggested that p-90 pickups were easy to wind and get a good sound, ( I dun noo?)
    I just read an article about a buncha' P-90s from a lot of the name pickup manufactures. Well written, a gourmet vocabulary for describing the differences in tonal characteristics, kinda like reading about grass feed T-Bone steaks cooked over oak or maple coals?I'm picking up a Epiphone Les Paul Jr today at fed-ex I am gonna play it for a while, and see how the stock Dog-Ear sounds mostly checking for hummmmmm. If I don't like it, because of how it acts with boosted low gain settings I'll try a Fralin Hum canceling Dog-Ear.

8. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

DSCF0661.JPG

I have the non-bling version in my Strat. Is it a P90?, I don't know. I do know that it aids rocking out, sounds great and responds to picking changes and volume pot changes in a most pleasant manner.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.