Humbucker, neck position commentary

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by teleblastard6, Oct 14, 2019.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

so you just toggle between them?

2. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

Yup, and in the middle position the 2 volumes act like blenders. More/less neck or more/less bridge.

There is actually a bit more electronic trickery going on that I haven't told you abt to get the humbucker sounding great.

3. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

the best sound ever created with a guitar I might add! cannot be beaten!

4. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

the middle position on a tele is absolute magic and unique to only the telecaster, a humbucker is just not elegant enough looking or sounding for me, I find it looks quite cumbersome.

5. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

well, that sure sounds interesting!

6. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger TDPRI Member

Yeah, my other guitar is an EMG 81/89R equipped shredder so I loves me some overwound covered Tele single coil neck pickup. If I could get a true WR HB (lol seriously cost prohibitive and Tab probably bought them all up) I would get a deluxe but otherwise I wouldn't stray any further than a P90 in the neck position. Those repro WR's are crap at reproducing the original. They have a cool unique sound, just not emulating the original WR very well. I think you are better off with an overwound Filtertron for getting close to a WR these days. I am tempted to put a P-Rails in my neck position but only to have the two different SC options..

7. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

The original Tele neck PU and wiring were designed so the player could sound like a bass if needed to ... This may have been a great idea in 1952 ...
    The wiring was changed to a more modern configuration, but the PU remained ...

8. teleblastard6

teleblastard6 TDPRI Member

Well, I like humbuckers in the neck for playing chords. Not for the bridge tho. I want single coil note clarity. High clear & cutting for solos. & teles have a big-ass single coil in that position

ben smith likes this.
  9. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Never liked a neck humbucker till I tried a firebird about a year ago. This past weekend I put a DiMarzio Cruiser in the neck of my Mahogany Tele, it also works well. As long as the middle position is good and the E and A strings have some snap in the neck position a humbucker can be a nice mod for a Tele.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.