Humbucker, neck position commentary

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by teleblastard6, Oct 14, 2019.

1. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted

My Professional with an A4 neck humbucker and Mojotone Broadcaster Quiet Coil in the bridge. 500k volume pot, 250k tone pot. It sounds really good.

[​IMG]

Greggorios likes this.
  2. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

This.

Humbucking pickups were known and available in 1951.
    • Arnold Lesti invented a humbucker in 1935; patent USRE20070 describes the noise cancelation and current summation principles of such a design.
    • In 1938, A.F. Knoblaugh invented a pickup for stringed instruments involving two stacked coils (US Pat. 2,119,584).
    • The 1939 April copy of "Radio Craft Magazine" shows how to construct a guitar pickup made with two identical coils wrapped around self-magnetized iron cores, where one is then flipped over to create a reverse-wound, reverse-polarity, humbucking orientation.
    • Rickenbacker offered dual coil pickups arranged in a humbucking pattern beginning in late 1953 but dropped the design in 1954 due to the perceived distorted sound, which had stronger mid-range presence. (Frances Hall of Rickenbacker was an early partner in Fender Sales.)
    • Finally, in 1955, Gibson equipped their Les Paul guitars with the now-famous PAF humbucker.
    • About the same time, Ray Butts developed a similar pickup that was taken up by Gretsch guitars.
    To my recollection, Leo never put a humbucking pickup on a production guitar. CBS did that.

Leo was on a quest for more clean headroom, as evidenced by the evolution of his amplifiers.

3. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I love the Tele neck and play it as much as the bridge. Great for Jazzy tones. I also like my bucker tele, but it needs a bigger neck...

4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I would hate to mess with how good I think my Tele sounds in middle PU position, by replacing single coil neck with HB.
    I can get a great, sweet, Dickey Betts-like tone right there on a Telecaster! ( great for cleaner blues, R&B, R&R rhythm, and with slapback, Rockabilly)
    ( I dig the Neck PU alone anyhow- 3 great sounds stock)

* plus 'stealth 4th position'- using Tele neck PU, but pick over the bridge PU- T- Bone Walker! ( well, close)

5. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Just picked up a Tele Custom with Wide Range humbucker by the neck.
    So far, I'm digging it, but I'll let you know after the first gig with it.
    In my bedroom, it sounds like the hugest single coil pickup ever.

BB likes this.
  6. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I'm not a huge Tele standard neck pickup fan. Except that it bothers my sense of what A Tele should be, I'd be all for a humbucker instead.
    Lately I have been playing my MIM 50's Esquire and I actually don't feel like I need a neck pickup at all.

7. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

why limit it to yay or nay? There's all kinds of glorious stuff being played by folks, using guitars equipped many, many different ways. More importantly, you got to figure out for yourself what you think is glorious and go with that.

Me, I play for myself first. Don't really care what you think about it or why. I've gone through many, many different phases. Kinda stuck on single coils, the tele/strat/ and P-90s. Still, I hear stuff from humbuckers all the time that I like, too. Why waste time "hating" stuff? Play more, hate less.

39martind18 likes this.
  8. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Am I the only one who thinks a genuine Dano-style lipstick tube pickup would sound nice in the neck position? I'm not a big fan of low-output pickups, but that might be the perfect place for one.

My vote would be "whatever sounds good"; humbucker, mini, traditional, P-90, magnetized hunk of barbed wire... ;)

BB likes this.
  9. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Yep, what I said

10. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Meister

I like my Tele neck pickup to be the standard single coil...or a Wide Range humbucker. Or a Filter'Tron. Or a P90.

I like the sounds others have gotten from neck PAFs on Teles, but it's about the only thing I don't use.

11. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

I use a SD "Vintage Stack" Humbucker, it still looks like the lipstick classic but sounds better.

12. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

_581.JPG _582.JPG This is my latest Tele build. Most of the guitars I have are firmly in the Gibson camp, with tone and volume controls for each pup, I wanted something that would give me more tonal variation in the mid position. This control plate showed up on Amazon (the posting said it was a jazz bass style plate). Ennyhoo, it's wired so that the pot closest to the neck is volume for the neck pup, the middle is bridge volume and the one closest to the selector switch is universal tone. The setup seems to really open up the tonal variations, especially in the middle/both-pup position.

Moriarty likes this.
  13. teleblastard6

teleblastard6 TDPRI Member

The Seymour Duncan in the neck is what I have,so I agree. Would love to have the Nocaster relic with a PAF type neck bucker that was hanging on the wall next to the '52 reissue I purchased. But I don't have that kind of money. [Thousands]

Mincer and ping-ping-clicka like this.
  14. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

This has always puzzled me. If you mix a single coil and a humbucker, how can you choose a pot value that works for both? If you use 250k the neck is going to sound muddy, if you use 500k the bridge is going to sound awfully piercing. How is this equation worked around?

CavalierX likes this.
  15. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

While I love humbuckers as well as single-coils, but the traditional single coil neck pickups in my two Teles sound incredible, and I spend more time on them than the bridge. To me it's the most essential part of the Tele sound. I could probably do a humbucker in the bridge though.

16. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

It took me a lot of experimentation to get mine perfect...
    IMG_20190623_140440.jpg
    Proper humbucker, proper single coil, 1meg vol, 250k vol, NO tone.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    ndcaster likes this.
  17. Fuggle

Fuggle TDPRI Member

Just go with a 4-way and run the two pickups in series. Close enough...

Ess Eff likes this.
  18. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

Yeah, I have 2 other Teles with 4 way switches which I like, but this was a bit of a challenge I set myself, so I was determined to get it sounding great.

I've been doing a lot of amp testing lately and being able to go from single to humbucker is very handy.

19. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Look it's all good and different people like different things. I will go out there and state that the stock Telecaster neck pickup (speaking of the metal covered single coil here) is NOT a lipstick tube pickup. That's a totally different beast not just in appearance but it's internal construction, which is hugely important when it comes to tone. A genuine lipstick tube has no bobbin or pole-pieces, and the baseplate is completely divorced from the coil. The cover completely encases the internals, which is not the case with a Telecaster single coil neck pickup.

20. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

No he didn't. He was no longer with Fender at that time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.