Humbucker, neck position commentary

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by teleblastard6, Oct 14, 2019.

1. teleblastard6

teleblastard6 TDPRI Member

I could be wrong, but I suspect there may be a large sub-group of Tele players who hate traditional Tele lipstick tube pick-ups, & [like me], believe that a humbucker in the neck improves ANY Tele. @ the same time, I LOVE the trad bridge p.u. Maybe Leo would have used neck humbuckers had they been invented yet.
    Yay or nay?

Jamie_h and ping-ping-clicka like this.
  2. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's

I don't think it's a large sub-group but certainly some players do. Have never heard of the Tele neck pickup referred to as a lipstick or tube pick-up, that's a different animal as used on Danelectros. The Tele neck is a smaller Fender single coil with a metal cover over it. The neck pickup had a bad rep for a long time but many, myself included, have come to love it. Now, a 2nd tele with a nice Seth Lover PAF is great as a #2 guitar.:)

3. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

I am in the humbucker neck position camp, but not purely for the humbucker. There’s something magical about the middle position of that combination, in my opinion. There’s a 335 quality to it if it’s the right bridge pickup and right humbucker, even more pronounced in a Thinline.

BB and ifallalot like this.
  4. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

It's a crude attempt

5. zammie

zammie TDPRI Member

I love the neck pickups, both on the strat and the tele. I never took to bridge pups; interestingly I only 'got it' with the bridge tele pup after I refurbished my tele. It was a real 'Aha!' moment.

I think it boils down to the type of music one plays, my only comment would be that it takes some adjusting tonally when moving from from the bridge to neck, or vice versa. Neither is bad, but needs some EQ-ing after switching.

BB and Greggorios like this.
  6. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Holic

I think Leo's intention was to have a single coil sound but fuller. He did try with wide range humbuckers imo had more of a single coil tone. Personally I like a mfd pu, big or small in the neck position.

Greggorios and zammie like this.
  7. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Put a fildelitron in and then select both neck and bridge. Very nice. And with more variety than a PAF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I'm not a fan of neck humbuckers. I've owned a few teles with them and haven't cared much for them. I'd much rather have a tele neck pickup. Other choices I like, but haven't owned yet: a good P-90, Filtertron, Charlie Christian or mini humbucker (the Duncan in the 52 Hot Rod a few years back was great).

navigate40, Greggorios and skerwo like this.
  9. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

I like stock Tele neck pups ..seems to do what it's supposed to. And as added trick, I use that pup to simulate acoustic guitar.

qblue and Greggorios like this.
  10. teleblastard6

The '52 Hot Rod with the mini Duncan 'bucker is what I have,& it plays great

11. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not inclined to replace the traditional Tele single coil neck pickup for a humbucker. I think I'm a thoroughgoing single coil guy. I have Wilkinson, DiMarzio Twang King and Bill Lawrence Keystone neck pickups in my various teles. I do have one that has a vintage style P-90 in the neck position. I'm happy with all of them.

I do have one guitar equipped with PAF-style humbuckers, and even though I've had it for more than a year, played it a bunch, even gigged with it, I just haven't gotten that comfortable with the humbuckers. I guess the previous decade of playing teles has attuned my ear to single coil sparkle and clarity. I haven't given up yet on the humbuckers in that guitar, but I'm thinking about swapping them out for TV Jones Classics.

I've also seriously thought about trying a Firebird pickup in the neck of a tele. Essentially, I want humbuckers to have single coil qualities: brightness, clarity and tight bass response. But interest in Filter'Tron and Firebird style pickups notwithstanding, my love for a good traditional style tele neck pickup is not diminished.

Greggorios and black_doug like this.
  12. teleblastard6

I absolutely agree.The mid position combination is magic. Every position sounds good, to my ears, with my blackguard '52 reissue

ben smith and Greggorios like this.
  13. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Meister

I have a seymour duncan mini humbucker in my neck position and it's rich and warm, and oh so creme de la creme, it has a wonderful clarity and string separation... go it used for 40.00 bucks

14. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

I prefer my Teles to be traditional.Nothing against a humbucker'd one but I am satisfied with the classic 2 single coils.Most of my Tele playing occurs on the bridge pickup anyways...that thick twang is what makes a Tele appealing to me.I also like the classic neck pickup when used in the right context...old school Blues and RnB and straight rhythm playing in general sounds great on it if you use the right amp for that music.It is a flatter and darker sound than a Strat neck pickup sound...not as punchy and midrangy and cutting.So when using the Tele neck pickup I'll pick in the area just in front of the bridge pickup to get more cut and definition and that works for me.Here is a great example of how a Tele neck pickup can sound great for old school Blues:

Greggorios and Stu Cazz like this.
  15. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I like both, but traditional just wins the last yard.

16. Stu Cazz

Stu Cazz TDPRI Member

I own two Les Paul's, so for me it wouldn't make no sense to have a HB in my Tele. Now if I had another Tele maybe then......
    Nope I'd go 4 way switch.
    I for one really like the sounds I get with my nocaster neck pu. Neck alone and all other combinations.

With Tele's I'm in the S/S camp (damn that sounds bad) or just have one bridge pu.

Of course Thinline's are an exception.

Fuggle, Greggorios and Unionjack515 like this.
  17. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

I doubt Leo would have approved. His sole purpose in life, at least initially, was to faithfully reproduce the clean sound of the strings through an amplifier. Methinks he would have no need for two coils and would have frowned upon something that added any amount of distortion to this Holy Grail.

18. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

How do you do that?

19. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

I'd like to try a Tele with a humbucker in the neck position at some point, but I'm still exploring the range of tones available from my traditional Tele.

20. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

Me too. I like the clarity of singlecoils in neck position while I´m a big fan of hb in the bridge position. And with the right hb in parallel mode you´ll get a very useable singlecoilish sound that fits my needs perfect.

charlie chitlin likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.