1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Humbucker Esquire Wiring

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by chicagopotter, Jan 15, 2017.

1. chicagopotter

chicagopotter NEW MEMBER!

Hello all. New member here, so I apologize in advance if this has been covered. I'm building (assembling) a tele with a Artec rail humbucker in the bridge with a series/split/parallel 3-way switch following the attached diagram. I'm working under the assumption (possibly in error) that the Artec wiring is the same as GFS, so have wired as such. At this point, I'm getting series at 11.2k and split at 6k ohm resistance. I'm not getting any sound for parallel and when tested, appears to be an open circuit? Since this is my first build ever, I'm not sure what to do next. Perhaps flip white and red on the switch? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!

Btw, I'm using a 500k volume, 250k tone, and .22 orange drop.

IMG_0249.JPG

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  2. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

I followed the diagram you attached with an SD Little '59 in an esquire and it worked fine. I'd double check all your wiring and make sure the color codes are interpreted right versus the SD colors in your diagram.

I wasn't too big a fan of it and ended up switching it for the Eldred mod with the Little '59 as a series humbucker all the time. I'm still not too keen on the Little '59. It sounds great with some dirt on it but not so Tele-nice clean. I am thinking of swapping in a pretty hot single coil Tele bridge pickup and give it a chance with the Eldred mod and then, maybe, add a neck pickup and revert back to normal wiring. I put a P90 route under the esquire pickguard when I built it so it'll fit a tele neck, strat neck, mini-hum, P90, or Filtertron just by changing the pickguard...decisions, decisions, LOL.
    Rex

3. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

All the pickup builders use different wire colors so you can't make any assumptions there. Sometimes you can find charts on the 'net to translate.

Or with an ohm meter measure the pairs of wires so you can separate out the pair of wires for each coil, you could flip to the volt scale and use a screwdriver at the poles to induce a voltage and know which pairs you have and the screwdriver in/out to see what the coil pair gives for +/- voltage to also help identify.

(Rex, you might try a different volume pot, one higher kohm either at the high end of the tolerance you have or a 500k instead of 250k, or a 0.047kohm cap in series with the humbucker pickup hot lead).

4. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

Hi. I need help please. I'd like to do something similar as above but with a rails-style humbucker pickup and the switch layout:
    Straight to jack; vol & tone; vol only.

My pickup is an artec (I think) that has a thick black wire, thin green wire, thin red, and thin white.
    Can anyone provide wiring diagram please?
    I have a pic from phostenix for a single coil but not for rails humbucker. I don't know enough to figure it out.
    I would be obliged.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.