Humbucker education and frustration

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Rufus, Jun 12, 2019.

1. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

I'd played only single coils (P90's, Teles and Strats) since early 80's and only had one humbucker guitar ever (1966 ES335) over the years.
    I picked up a PRS SE Custom 24, but couldn't bond with the hot/high output stock pickups. I got a pair of Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickups (4 conductor to allow coil split) and they were exactly what I was looking for....warm, yet articulate. Liked them so much, I swapped out the pickups in my PRS SE Custom 22 semi hollow for Seth Lover's again.
    My 2 cents......

Mincer and Rufus like this.
  2. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

have 61 alnico, tbuckers, 57, 490/490, 490/498, 496/500,

have tweed deluxe,,they all hit it nice, lot more natural growl & nice overdreive compared to my strats,

my fav are the 61 alnico & tbuckers, the 61 alnico's act hot but are not , awesome for crunch on 7 on guitar vol ,right at the break point & then really get if for the leads dimed,,same with t buckers..but in the airy PAF way

3. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Holic

Is that a vintage Anniversary? According to this article, Gretsch started using the Hilo-Tron single coils in the Anniversary model in the 60’s. I have a 2013 Anniversary and it has the Hilo-Trons.

https://guitar.com/guides/essential-guide/history-gretsch-anniversary/

Ha! After reading further in that article I see Gretsch used TV Jones pickups in Anniversary models in the early to mid 2000s.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  4. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I think for standard production (non boutique) humbuckers, you can't go past SD Seth Lovers or Antiquities (pretty much the same species)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.