1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Human Bean Coffee coming to my 'hood. Any good?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Whatizitman, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Anything's gotta be better than Starbucks. I would lobby for a Dutch Bros, but I don't think they're east of the mississip.

What say ye? Human Bean? Yay or nay?

Esquire Jones and nojazzhere like this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Is this anything like that expensive coffee that some little animal eats the beans, and then "eliminates" them?. People then dig through the dung and retrieve the beans. So.....is this the same process except done by humans instead of animals??????
    I found this on Wikipedia, so it must be true and accurate. ;)

Kopi luwak is a coffee that consists of partially digested coffee cherries, which were eaten and defecated by the Asian palm civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus). It is also called civet coffee. The cherries are fermented as they pass through a civet's intestines, and after being defecated with other fecal matter, they are collected.[1] Asian palm civets are increasingly caught in the wild and traded for this purpose.[2]

Kopi luwak is produced mainly on the Indonesian islands of Sumatra, Java, Bali, Sulawesi, and in East Timor. It is also widely gathered in the forest or produced in farms in the islands of the Philippines,[3] where the product is called kape motit in the Cordillera region, kapé alamíd in Tagalog areas, kapé melô or kapé musang in Mindanao, and kahawa kubing in the Sulu Archipelago. Weasel coffee is a loose English translation of its Vietnamese name cà phê Chồn.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Fuelish, radiocaster, Nickfl and 2 others like this.
  3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

"I am not an animal, I am a human bean."

I think I heard that somewhere.

StevesBoogie and Esquire Jones like this.
  4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Another drive thru coffee provider? Competitions good, but I started brewing mine at the house, and toting with me. I invested in a good espresso maker and a quality travel thermos, and it paid for itself in well under a year. Just an idea.

Ironwolf, Nahtabot and Esquire Jones like this.
  5. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

Hills Brothers - The Telecaster of coffee.

[​IMG]

6. PhoenixBill

PhoenixBill Tele-Meister

Human beans? Is that related to Soylent Green?

Fuelish, nojazzhere and electrichead like this.
  7. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

surfcitycoffee.com

we drink the surfer's blend.

I buy 12lbs at a time.

8. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

DIY is the best way to go. Just get yourself a grinder and buy whole bean coffee. Much better than anything you can get at a coffee shop.

Of course, I take mine straight black, no sugar. If you like add in flavorings I can't help you.

Ironwolf likes this.
  9. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

The best coffee is probably from the roaster closest to you.

If you live on the West coast something on the West coast is going to be better than the East Coast simply because it will be closer to you and everything will be fresher.

I order from here:

https://www.georgehowellcoffee.com

But I'm < 10 miles from their HQ.. if I order coffee it often comes and it's only been 24-48 hours since it came out of the roaster.

If you're looking for someone else to actually make the coffee for you then that's a different situation.. no chain is ever going to be terribly good.

irie and SRHmusic like this.
  10. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Probably good to have some competition for Starbucks. Caribou is pretty good around here. Looks like HB is out of Oregon and is in a lot of states already.

But... I order fresh roasted beans and grind & brew at home. Works out to about 50 or 75 cents for a 16 ounce travel mug. That's like half to a third the price of Starbucks for their drip coffee? And a hand made pour over at Starbucks is about $5(!). (Plus, I'm happier with fewer strip malls and more trees. :p)

11. Whatizitman

I so hope so. It's been a tough winter.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. Whatizitman

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Human Bean is okay, better than Dutch Bros, not as consistent as Starbucks.

Dutch Bros regular coffee is not good. The long lines are for their sugar drinks.

Pikes Place is consistent and once you get used to it, it is a good friend.

Believe me, I wanted to love Dutch Bros, but oof.

14. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Holic

Never understood drinking coffee..

15. Whatizitman

Right. But some times you just need to go out and get a cup (if it's good). The closer to the house the better. I very rarely buy coffee from drive up, much less chain store. Almost all the coffee I consume is brewed at home. And even then I rarely have more than a cup. I almost never have coffee at work.

Exceptions I make are really good coffee or cold brews, like Dutch Bros. And the very rare xmas mocha thingy from Starbucks. But I can't remember the last time I did that. Starsucks, yuck.

That's why I'm asking. Since it close to home, if it's got really good stuff, I will go more often. Otherwise, nope.

getbent likes this.
  16. Whatizitman

Come to think of it, I may have only had iced/cold brews at Dutch Bros, since I've only had it in Phx, in spring or summer. Yeah, not going to get a hot cup in June in AZ. But the cold brew is the best I've had anywhere outside my house.

We got a new Sheetz a couple of years ago. I waited far too long (with no line) for a ridiculously expensive and bland cold brew. Haven't gone back there for anything since.

EDIT: I should add I've only had Dutch Bros on vacation. So yeah, I wouldn't be going all the time if there was one near me. It's a treat when I visit fam and friends in AZ.

getbent likes this.
  17. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We had one in our town that was okay, not spectacular. It had been sold & renamed when Dutch Bros. came to town and opened just up the street from them. Ours was good for eye candy, though...
    There's still another one about 10 miles up the coast & is still operating.

getbent likes this.
  18. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I can make half a dozen pots of coffee at home for what one cup costs at one of those places. Combine that with every thing I've ever had from one of them was absolutely awful, and I will be sticking with home brewing my coffee.

getbent and Ricky D. like this.
  19. Whatizitman

I had something from a Jazzman's Cafe that was very good. Never heard of it before that. It looks like they franchise exclusively to university food courts.

Go to college, get good coffee. :cool:

getbent likes this.
  20. irie

irie Tele-Holic

This is the way....

Every major city will have at least one if not several good local roasters. Buy your beans from there, brew them however you like at home.

Guaranteed to be cheaper and produce a better cup of coffee than anything you can get from a chain.

Nickfl likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.