1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hum Reducer

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by giddyap, Jan 23, 2021.

1. giddyap

giddyap TDPRI Member

Has/Does anyone use a Tripp-Lite Isobar recepticale for noise reduction?
    What do you think?
    Do you bring it to gigs...just at home?
    Is the point of this thing that different environments have different currents in the lines and "air?"

2. giddyap

giddyap TDPRI Member

really...nobody???

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Never heard of that product, seems like many here who get tired of SC hum go right to noiseless pickups.
    I live with SC hum but use an isp Decimator G string to silence the pauses.
    Works pretty well once you get used to it, helped a lot.

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I tried one like that, but, with varying voltages it would
    knock stuff out when least expected.
    118 to 122..
    It has nothing to do with hum. If you have those issues
    at gigs, I always put outside of stage light circuit or other,
    and try to get into mixer circuit, etc, etc.
    Leave all cell phones off amps. lol

If you need amp noise reduction, boss has a product
    and some others do...but, sometimes you lose
    something with those. imho

5. giddyap

giddyap TDPRI Member

Suppose you have a very quiet, grounded, and interference free room (no tvs, cell phones, etc), and you plugged in a 60s tube amp (with replaced 3-prong plug) ... would you expect the amp to be silent???

Thing is, I am not a gear head. I don't have another amp to compare too. Maybe what I think is "noise" is really nothing.

6. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

different types of hum...

50/60hz - nothing can be done about this on an SC guitar. you have to live with it. on an amp with a humdinger, it can be minimized within the amp.

100/120hz - crappy grounding in a building can mess with this. noise after rectification in the amp. i've had amps where depending on the building, it was more noticeable or dead quiet. only massive amounts of filtering can attenuate it, but if the 60hz is louder going in than normal, you're sort of screwed. i've tried iso transformers and nothing seems to really take care of it. just the luck of the draw with the space.

harmonics of the above - shielding can help with RF and upper harmonics of 60hz. but sometimes the with the wiring in the space, it can't be avoided, unless you turn your body at certain angles.

so do i think it's worth it to buy it or lug it out? no. it's not foolproof. there's no magic solution. sometimes you just gotta uh, "pee" with the "wiener" you've got unfortunately.

7. giddyap

giddyap TDPRI Member

I have another more important question

Right now I am sitting with my 65' Gibson Skylark GA-5T. It is plugged in and nothing is plugged into it.
    There is a slight HUM.
    When I touch the tolex the hum intensifies a bit
    When I touch the rear metal plate where the controls are the hum intensifies even more.

Is this to be expected???
    (and yes, the amp has been serviced twice. a modern 3-prong cord was installed. the tech told me that he thinks this is one of the quietest amps like this that he's ever worked on).

So:
    A) I'm wrong. Things are fine.
    B) My house is messed up (even though a plug-in indicator lights that my outlet is indeed grounded)
    C) The tech is full of **** (and this is wayyy unlikely, as he is a VERY well-known tech in this major city)

8. giddyap

giddyap TDPRI Member

Thank you!
    Please see the alternative question I posted here right after you replied.
    I'd like to know your thoughts.

9. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

it depends on the grounding of the amp. the old fender split style is more noticeable to me than a bus scheme (i've found grounding to the chassis at the input or right on the PT lug doesn't make much difference, so long as grounds are ain a line and all the stages are grounded at a local ground). again, using an iso transformer didn't do anything for me (you still have to use the safety ground of the building).

at my home for instance, bumping up the filter caps and using all shielded runs in in my bassman, i could get the 120hz ripple noise down to 1.5-2mVpp at its absolute lowest, no matter what. pretty quiet, easily buried in a mix, but still noticeable when playing solo in a silent room, like home. but when i'd bring it into a space that was properly grounded, the amp was dead quiet.

as far as upper harmonics and RF, the wiring was so crappy in my previous house that even a shielded humbucker guitar was picking up all sorts of crap unless i sat at a weird angle when recording.

as far as hiss goes, well, you need to select the tubes for that, and using 2-3W metal film resistors makes it hardly noticeable, but then people get all salty about "mojo" when you do that (i don't find it makes a difference from carbon and i don't care about their opinion).

10. giddyap

giddyap TDPRI Member

So a quiet amp at home could be "loud" in a club...and vice versa???
    Most true clubs/venues are likely wired properly. But if one was to play in a dive bar, might it be a good idea to have a grounded power strip with RF blocking capabilities in the gear bag???

11. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've had good results with the hum debugger pedal, and I don't think it reduces anything from the sound. I'm just a home player though, so I'm no experience playing out with it. When I first got it I was playing in another room that was really bad, now I have a different room setup as a music room, and it's better, but I still use this.

20210206_175855.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.