Hum old electro’s

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TwoBear, Jul 30, 2021.

Tags:
  1. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

I don’t remember, does a Fender have increased hum from old electrolytics when the amp is off standby, guitar plugged in, but amplifier volumes are all turned down? Or does that only show when the amp is in run mode with the volume/s up? I was going to grab my last and only tube amp, a ‘69 silverface Bantam Bass, and go sit in with my old band, possibly all night as they’re only a trio tonight. I think common sense is just telling me to leave it, and try to limp by with either my crate limo or Boss cube Street or maybe both. I’m sitting here asking this question when I ought to be double checking other things and not trying to force this... I just know they can get loud outside on a beach patio, and the solid-state battery amps that I have are going to be pushed hard possibly/probably to the point of throwing a speaker... I guess speaker upgrade on the SS’s is easier and better than frying The originality of the Fender, that is in line for a cap job anyway.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

This is too late to help you with last night, TwoBear; but it is very odd for that amp to be humming with the standby switch in the standby mode. Either the switch is not functioning properly and the amp is 8n the play mode at all times or the power transformer has a loud h7m for some reason. In standby, the electrolytics are disconnected from the circuit so the speaker should not be getting ANY signal of any kind from the circuit. Or….could the bias circuit be shorted out and shooting some electrons through the power t7bes to the OT??? Electrons do odd things when they misbehave.

3. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Is it just me or is the OP just a little hard to follow?

I wonder because Wally interpreted the first sentence differently than I, and the rest of the post has too many characters & plot twists for my aging brain to handle.

Wally likes this.
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

So, I reread the OP. Off standby may mean in operation. If so, then a hum with all volumes at zero indicates it is tech time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.