Hum in neck/middle position after pickup swap

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by BigDaveyTwinkle, May 8, 2019.

1. BigDaveyTwinkle

BigDaveyTwinkle Tele-Meister

2019 players series Telecaster with 3 way switch. Neck pick up is Seymour Duncan antiquity two Firebird (neck) which has up to this point worked perfectly.

Swapped in a Duncan antiquity 55 for Tele bridge and had phase issues in the middle position.

Pulled the bridge pick up and flipped hot and ground leads and clipped the jumper between the brass base plate, reinstalled. Plate is grounded by jumper to back of volume pot.

Out of phase in the middle position issues are now gone, however I am now getting hum in the neck and middle positions which disappear when I touch the bridge, control plate, strings Etc. Bridge pickup is dead quiet.

Any thoughts? Is shielding the Firebird neck pickup the place to start? Or something else?

Thanks in advance-

2. BigDaveyTwinkle

Additional shielding did not seem to help. But I have noticed that merely touching the neck pickup causes the hum to get much worse. Do I need to flip the leads on the neck pickup? It is shielded braid.

3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Often it's from a braid shield shorting or something like that. Often fine until you close things up and the wire bends and grounds on something...

4. BigDaveyTwinkle

It's not a loss of signal issue. it is not grounding out. I have fought that fight before when wiring a Telecaster.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.