Hum from 5E3 after adding USB thermal fan more when using A/B switch to change from channel 1 to channel 2

Johnnydoright

TDPRI Member
Hi folks. I have 6 or 7 5E3 Deluxe clones. Started by building a kit from Stuart Mcdonald, because it was a complete kit with instructions. I got brave,(cheap/stupid) and bought an inexpensive kit on EBay from China. Got it together and struggled for quite some time but finally got it sorted out. From there I put together a couple from parts mainly acquired from the Hoffman amplifier store. I found his layouts to be very good. The pricing for his parts was good, and his website includes parts lists for many different amps. Not too long after I happened across Rob Robbinette's Deluxe page and built my first one of those. It was magic. The amp is the one I play through almost always. All of these amps have a couple things in common. First they all sound incredible! Second, they all have a very low noise floor, in fact, there have been a few times after turning one on for the first time, I was not sure it was working, it was that quiet! Third, and this is why I am writing this post, they all get very hot! Now this was brought to my attention by a friend of mine who has been coming by to jam with me and my buddies on Friday evenings. Of course, I decided to investigate this phenomenon, and so set to work trying to do research. The consensus is yes the 5E3 does get very hot. All the ones I have get hot enough to cause me to be concerned, although I have had no failures after 7 or so months of playing through them. However, being concerned with possible spotainious combustion I decided to try to figure a way to cool things down. I swapped out the 250 ohm cathode resistor for a 500 ohm, but found the tone was ruined. I settled at 270 ohms (264 ohms when measured) the 250 ohm resistor measured 246 ohms. The amp still gets very hot. When I measured the bias, I was a little uneasy to find the tubes are running 44 and 46 milivolts. Quite a bit more than recommended for the little 6V6 tubes. Still, there have been no failures, so I decided to install a fan, and was pleased that this cooled things off quite admirably.
I wired the fan using a desktop outlet with 2 120 volt outlets, and 2 USB outlets. Being old and forgetful, I decided to install a thermal switch to control the fan, so I would not have to remember to turn them on and off. At this point, I now have developed a very annoying hum, particularly on channel 2, which is the 5E3 channel. I use an A/B switching box to switch from channel1 to 2, as channel1 is voiced like a Marshall and is very pedal friendly. This problem presented after the thermal switch was installed. I am hoping that somebody can provide a little insight into my dilemma. Thanks for listening.

TunedupFlat

Tele-Meister
Ground loop maybe? Have you tested what happens with the thermal switch removed?

What type of thermal switch? Thermal Reed switches use a magnetic field that could create emi and cause hum

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
No idea. You might get a better response posting in the Amp Tech Center forum?

I would love to build amps - but this is just another hobby I have not made the time for.

Johnnydoright

TDPRI Member
Ground loop maybe? Have you tested what happens with the thermal switch removed?

What type of thermal switch? Thermal Reed switches use a magnetic field that could create emi and cause hum
I did unhook the switch, but I need to remove it completely and test again.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Welcome to TDPRI! The beer's in the fridge, over there.

Never in my life have I heard or read that a 5E3 circuit operates at a higher temperature than other amps. Unless your amp has a specific, quantifiable problem that's generating excessive heat, you broke it trying to fix a problem that didn't exist. Post in an appropriate amp forum, here, and you'll get expert advice.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Welcome to the TDPRI!

Make yourself at home!

I don't mess with amps. I hope you have presented your case to the amp people on this forum. Lots of great info.