hum cancellation

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by medownsouth, Jul 5, 2020.

1. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I've been dealing w/ a hum issue in my "tele" since I got it. Found this, pretty interesting, thought I'd share

2. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

Thanks for sharing the video. I have a simpler solution. I have found that when I play my Telecaster, if I play the harmonica, I don't hum as much............

BBQedIguana likes this.
  3. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Neat. Twisting wires together is a proven technique.

I've developed some experience using Gavitt wire, with the woven metal shield and cloth-covered single-conductor within. I'm a believer, and I'm more interested in shielding the wiring itself than I am in creating a Faraday cage.

Given that the pickups themselves are basically big antennas, minimizing the RF issue and making it livable is the goal.

Thanks for the post!

4. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

The star grounding/anti-ground loop stuff doesn't apply in a guitar, but there's some good info there. But my major objection to most 'how to shield your guitar' videos like these is that they don't show before/after recordings, to see if adding shielding actually reduced noise, as it usually should.

And if he really thinks physical ground loops matter in guitars, it's easy to create one and then cut one 'link' in the loop to show any difference in the noise level.

We do need more experimental testing of shielding strategies. For example to see if the suggested twisted pairs (or insulated conductors) are actually redundant in a well-shielded guitar. Or alternatively, if you already have twisted pairs or insulated conductors (eg many MIJ Fenders), whether cavity/pickguard shielding confers any extra improvement in the noise level.

Squier by Squier and Steve 78 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.