1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Huh...I wonder where Ibanez got this design idea?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by GuitarsBuicks, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Meister

It must be a really limited production thing cause most Tele players who'd spend that much would either go Custom Shop Fender or build their own...

soundchaser59 likes this.
  2. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Honestly, if I liked any Ibanez I had ever played besides my Jet King II of which I am a proud owner and defender, I would be tempted...if I had a job, money, and gigs to play it at...and if the price was less than what I paid for my 70th Broadcaster.

3. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Sad thing is, I’ve played a couple of PRS Silver Sky guitars and kinda wish PRS would do...aTele.

Danb541 likes this.
  4. Hags

Hags Tele-Meister

Looks more like a music man/g&l to me

5. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Looks like a G&L espada. Almost exactly.

6. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Out of all the electrics I played in my initial search for an electric, I played probably 15 PRS guitars in various different configurations. I didn't like a single one. For reference this was 2012-14, and I also played about 30 Les Paul's and SG's from top of the line down to the bottom, a bunch (at least 10) of Ibanez S-series guitars in various configurations and a Les Paul copy from the '90s, about 8 Strats of all price levels from what ever was between the Standard and the Ultra series down to Squire, at least 12 new teles, and about 5 squire Jazzmasters. Eventually I found my Jet King II after looking in 8 stores across two states, it was the only electric I had played to that point that I absolutely fell in love with everything about it. For some reason PRS didn't do anything for me. If they made a Tele with a nice chunky neck that was comfortable but not a baseball bat, and did a really good attempt at a Blackguard sound for the bridge I would definitely be looking at them next time I'm in the market. I can tell you for sure though that I am not a Strat person unless it has a T-Style pickup in the bridge or is a Big Apple Strat with SD Pearly Gates+. I definitely prefer hard tail guitars in general to anything with a trem, although I'm not opposed to Bigsbys that stay in tune when you use them.

I am not at all about brand loyalty, I would much rather have a good guitar from Ibanez that I can actually love rather than a name brand. It just so happens that I have two Fenders and an Ibanez that I have managed to get lucky enough to find.

swervinbob likes this.
  7. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

SHH! don't tell the copyright office. :lol:

8. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

It is, it is! Before you ask the headstock got stung by a bee!:rolleyes::p:D 20200516_153341.jpg

9. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

BigDaddyLH likes this.
  10. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

From the RCA tube manual of course!

Alex_C likes this.
  11. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What we have is a failure to communicate

12. stefan87

stefan87 TDPRI Member

Had a look at these when I saw Josh smith had a signature model, I really don't get it though as I have head him many of times say how good a tele is and that it's his ultimate all rounder/work horse guitar and then his sig model is an Ibanez that looks like a Tele???

Like others have mentioned, why didn't fender do him a signature model, the dude is a seriously good player.

13. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

Fender made an Ed O’Brien strat and while cool and as much as I like Radiohead, I still wouldn’t pay a premium for it. I’d imagine many people my age are in that boat. Dunno how well something like that H.E.R. Strat is going to sell either. OTOH middle age guys with disposable income flock to jimmy page tele’s like a moth to a flame. I don’t think it’s a stupid move at all (though John 5 seems pretty out of touch). Selling boomer paraphernalia is always a winning choice for this industry. And I really don’t mean to make a value judgment here. Old guys playing with toys in their man cave really is the backbone of guitar related sales in this day and age.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Dan German and stefan87 like this.
  14. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

I don't get the hate. Ibanez makes some really nice instruments. I had a Prestige a few years ago and it was a quality instrument. I'd bet that these Telebanez's feel and sound great.

15. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

Decades ago I wondered why players like Pat Metheny, George Benson, Lee Ritenour and such would agree to a signature model with Ibanez.
    Then I bought an Ibanez.
    And another.

StevesBoogie and Alex_C like this.
  16. loopfinding

this guitar may not be my style (though that mini hum sure could be), but I can appreciate Ibanez (or FGN, or whoever) making updated mass production takes to the T style much more than some souped up suhr or Nash thing or whatever.

Alex_C likes this.
  17. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Good points. The Hendrix/Page/Gilmour/Clapton.... all that stuff sells well and I get there's a market for it. Who is the next generation of Fender Signature guitars? When Fender let's excellent players like Josh Smith go elsewhere, they stop playing their Fenders. Who are the excellent younger Fender players? A lot of the younger blues players are going towards Fenderish boutique stuff. Being 50, I'm probably out of touch with who these younger guys are. I've heard of Quinn Sullivan but he seems like a Clapton clone so far. I'm more into blues so maybe that's my problem.

18. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

Looks good to me

19. loopfinding

i think the more you corner a niche, the better shot at success you have taking chances on sig models, but the more you're a classic all things to all people company, the rock gods always ensure an easier/quick buck. i'm sure as big as fender is, all they'll really have to do is see who's left when the smoke clears. something like the johnny marr sig would have not done as well twenty, twenty five years ago as now.

Danb541 likes this.
  20. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

Idea for the control plate design, definitely a sausage. pm_main_eg_azs_en_sp.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.