Hugh Cornwell Telecaster Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by rattus77, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Goldfingers

Goldfingers TDPRI Member

PERFECT - Thats it !!! Been listening to the stranglers for 4 decades now - thats definitely it.

2. Philicaster

Philicaster TDPRI Member

Well found, thank you. I have finally managed to get one from the USA (on eBay) although this is the flat top acoustic version, so I'll have to mod it to fit.
    [​IMG]

3. Philicaster

Philicaster TDPRI Member

Thanks, I'm going for the authentic 1965 DeArmond pickup next. Just found one on eBay!

[​IMG]

4. djangoRobinson

djangoRobinson Tele-Meister

thought maybe thats what he had, just screwed the arms under the plate. of course you might have to do a bit of light routing .

5. Goldfingers

Goldfingers TDPRI Member

Hugh Cornwell & his tele

Do ya know,I've been a lifelong Stranglers fan & often wondered where he got that 'twang/power' sound.I've examined and looked at a lot of things over & over but I think theres a possibility (only a possibility) that the switch maybe an on/off to reproduce rhythm/treble switch on a Les Paul.Except that the 'mystery mid p/up' is a lipstick in a metal guard to support it.It would make sense & would explain the sound.On/off tree way switch with Single coil/lipstick tone,dual lipsticks with the 'split option without comprimising the tele sound.Just a suggestion,I think I'll try it on an old tele copy first.:lol:

6. Philicaster

Philicaster TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

I have one of those DeArmonds in an old Gretsch. It's hanging on the wall a foot from my head as I type, so it was easy to verify that it's the same. They're great pickups.

8. Philicaster

Philicaster TDPRI Member

Yeah, the pick-up sounds great. Very powerful. I found this pic of Hugh in 1977, this has to be definitive proof that it's a DeArmond in his Tele'. You can even make-out the 'DeArmond' embossed lettering between the toaster holes.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. djangoRobinson

djangoRobinson Tele-Meister

nice, so its solved.lol anyone got a home vid of its sound ?

10. stu63

stu63 NEW MEMBER!

Hugh's tele replica looks great Phil. Also checked out your band, very impressed really accurate and authentic tribute. Excellent stuff.

I have just finished a replica project of the black tele that Hugh has used for quite a number of years now. think his is a 74, with brass bridge and nut.
    will post some pics.

Cheers mate
    Stu

11. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

Excellent job, the guitar looks great. Was just listening to the Rattus record the other day. Cornwell was a great player on that one. Great rhythm work but some really nice leads too. His solo on 'Princess of the Streets' has wonderful tone. He always played interesting stuff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.