1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Huge fire at Dubai Hotel

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Post Toastie, Dec 31, 2015.

1. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

I hope they hired some "guest worker" firemen........

2. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

I'm not arguing with you. I think it is equally ridiculous.

It does happen that things get put into buildings that shouldn't be. In North America, a few decades ago it came to light that the way they were caulking buildings was prone to fire. They found the caulking would catch fire and fall, dripping and burning, out of the holes it was meant to seal which would, in turn allow air in to stoke the fire. It lead to a change in the entire industry but not before people died.

We have laboratories that are supposed to test all of this stuff and standardize it before it goes on the market. Perhaps Dubai's building standards are different. Nonetheless, tragic to have to find to that way that a material is sub-standard.

3. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

John McClane seen leaving the scene going "Yippee Ki-Yay"

4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah...no argument, just that Dan was concerned about how you battle a fire that's enveloped the exterior of a 700 ft. structure and you followed up by explaining the stair towers and standpipes that are used to protect from and battle interior structure fires.

It just seemed a disconnect from his question...sorry...:oops:

5. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Their fire extinguishing system worked as designed... the fire is out and the building i s cooling down, pretty amazing if you ask me...

6. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

From what I've heard so far the fire went from nothing to one side completely engulfed in flames in minutes. And took hours to gain control. That's amazing? To me, amazing is when a fire is contained to the floor it started on...like sprinklered systems are designed to do.

7. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

The exterior of the building was covered in a substance that was banned in Dubai in 2013. I guess that existing buildings were exempt from this ban to let the owners off the hook financially.

The disturbing fact is that 70 percent off buildings in Dubai are covered in this aluminum-polyurethane composite. This is the 3rd major high-rise fire in Dubai since 2012. Scary.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-skyscraper-fire-new-years-eve-2015-live.html

8. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Most all of the flaming you saw on the news was the exterior of the building... And, yes, the survivor rate of the whole episode is pretty amazing, as well as the fire being extinguished in a few hours.

9. Gladiator

Gladiator TDPRI Member

Saw this while eating at a burger joint. First thought was a terrorist attack like a plane hit it but saw the fireworks subtitle. Man, hope they had good insurance.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.