HSS Strats

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I have 4 other standard config to cleanse my eyes.

20210504_131704.jpg

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Looks aside, I played a number of them when I was shopping for my first Strat and never liked the sound of them. A bridge humbucker needs balance, but from the neck, not the middle and splitting the bucker lost character. IDK. Maybe the new ones are better but I have two Stratocasters I like and no desire for a third.

Surf Green

TDPRI Member
I've bought an affinity sss strat and couldn't get on with the bridge pickup (
DSC01520 resize 1.JPG
also hate the giant headstock). Then I bought a bullet hss strat and loved it (still do, it has a great neck and the pickups are hot without being over the top). I now have a player hss strat which is very different to the bullet strat (I hesitate to say better, it depends what sound you're looking for). However, my best guitar is my sh vintera tele.

soundcloset

Tele-Meister
Having done it all to my long suffering Harmony strat partscaster and settled back on single coils, for a new project build I stumbled across some MFD singles at an antique store in NC; Leo's last stab at all his original designs before he died. He tweaked them all, gave them forgettable names, unless you like ASAT and Comanche and so on, no judgement here. But the MFD's in a Narra body, with otherwise Mexi parts, and the treble-bass cut tone controls, is really flexible and they push distortion nicely and they back off nicely (not quite the delicacy of a traditional strat pickup when clean, but you can back them off the strings and get that, I read) and they look traditional except for adjustable pole pieces. All that said, there are ways to get the tone of whatever, and the look of the tilted bridge pickup. Seymour Duncan, if it hasn't been mentioned, has an ultra-flexible setup they'll sell you, involving several narrow double-coils and some switching cleverness.

Jim B

TDPRI Member
Don't know why but I can't stand this pickup configuration on a Strat. It's a visual thing. Two humbuckers, P90s, lipsticks, Coodercaster, I find them all legit but this one just calls for a pointy headstock and a Floyd Rose. To me it's just not a Strat anymore.

View attachment 916243
I used to feel the same way until I found this. Lugging more than one guitar to gigs became a pain with all the other gear and getting older.

Attachments

• 3841580C-8ABE-41F4-B50A-0591A54E0971.jpeg
    3841580C-8ABE-41F4-B50A-0591A54E0971.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 22

okgb

TDPRI Member
Before Fender started doing it, it was the most popular mod changing the bridge p/u to a humbucker , no?

KATT

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
There’s some nice single spaced hb pickups. I love the HSS format.
I focus a lot more how they sound and play than how they look.
The one in the op looks ok to me, If it played well and sounded right I could take it.
I have an HSS custom shop Strat and completely agree.

I guess for some people guitars are more of a fashion accessory or for hanging on the wall. For others, a tool to play music.

KATT

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
About volume jumps when switching pickups, easily solved by adjusting the height of the pickups, usually the humbucker will be much higher than the single coils are, just my experience. I'm using SD SH4.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU ON THE SILLINESS OF THE CONTROLS ON A STRAT. FIRST, THE VOLUME KNOB IS SO CLOSE TO THE BRIDGE PICKUP THAT I USED TO SMACK IT AND TURN THE VOLUME DOWN AS I PLAYED, THIS WAS THE MAIN REASON WHY I DIDN'T LIKE FENDER STRATS, BECAUSE OF THIS VOLUME POSITION ISSUE. I ALSO DID NOT UNDERSTAND WHY THE ONE PICKUP THAT NEEDS TONE CONTROL DID NOT HAVE ONE.

SO, I REWIRED THE GUITAR FOR MASTER VOLUME MASTER TONE, AS IT SHOULD BE WITH ANY GUITAR OUT THERE, PERIOD. I SHIFTED THE TWO KNOBS TO THE BOTTOM TWO PICKGUARD HOLES AND USED THE HOLE LEFT BY THE VOLUME KNOB TO ADD A TOGGLE SWITCH TO SPLIT THE COIL OF THE HUMBUCKER.

Sorry for all the Caps, I didn't realize it was turned on and used voice dictation, I'm not deleting and dictating again it, LOL.

Perhaps you started shouting.

Cdngtrplyr

TDPRI Member
Don't know why but I can't stand this pickup configuration on a Strat. It's a visual thing. Two humbuckers, P90s, lipsticks, Coodercaster, I find them all legit but this one just calls for a pointy headstock and a Floyd Rose. To me it's just not a Strat anymore.

View attachment 916243
I find that a slanted bridge humbucker is more acceptable
20210312_083003.jpg

Orson Cart

TDPRI Member
I think many issues with volume pot and middle pickup being in the way come back to what guitar you used in your formative years. I had only a strat for the first ten years I played. I think my picking style evolved to avoid the volume pot and middle pickup. Sure there are rare occasions when they still get in the way like palm muting the top strings (how did Hank do it?) but not often.

mitcharney

TDPRI Member

View attachment 916243
To each his own. Thousands have been sold.

reedrainey

TDPRI Member
Did you say versatile?

Strat Ultra 1996 modded.jpg

Blue-Gold Lace Sensor Neck, split into either Blue or Gold singles or full hum by mini switch
Gold Lace Sensor middle single coil
Red-Red Lace Sensor bridge, split into either single reds or full hum by mini switch
Roland GK-3 pickup
----------------------------
Selector settings:

1 - Inner Red single coil
Bridge Double-Red hum
Outer Red single coil

2 - Middle single Gold + Inner Red Bridge single coil
Middle single Gold + bridge double-Red hum
Middle single Gold + Outer Bridge single Red coil out-of-phase

3 - Neck Blue-Gold Hum + Inner Red Bridge coil
Neck Blue-Gold Hum + Bridge Double-Red Hum
Neck Blue-Gold Hum + Bridge Red outer single coil

4 - Neck Blue-Gold Hum + Middle single Gold out-of-phase

5 - Neck Blue-Gold hum

---------------------------

Note: Roland GK-3 can be switched for:
(1) GK alone, or
(2) mixed with selector switch settings, whichever
combination is selected, and even
(3) Guitar alone.

--------------------------

Second tone control is TBX

Reckoner

TDPRI Member
I get the versatility appeal, but as the author of the thread stated - strats and teles are all about single coils to me. But it's just me; to each his own it is.

Whitebeard

Tele-Meister

View attachment 916243
It does look like someone cut a big hole and stuck the humbucker in there.

tomasz

Tele-Holic
Sure, why not. It's high time to push that look from the fifties to another level. Btw, that slanted bridge pickup is slanted in the wrong direction for modern usage, to start with ;)

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
It used to bother me but then one day something changed and I had to have one. I play mostly clean or just a touch of breakup. I love a bridge humbucker sound but not necessarily a neck humbucker sound. So that started the wheels turnin. Then, all the switching options available finally did it. Now that I got one, I cannot see not having this combination.

one thing though, I rarely use the middle pickup. I like the following combos:
Bridge Humbucker series
Bridge humbucker parallel
Bridge series plus neck single coil
Bridge parallel plus neck single coil
Then soooooometimes:
Bridge parallel plus middle single coil

It’s still fun to have all of the options though.