1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

HSS pickup set: balanced output or imbalanced?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by DeepDangler, Jan 25, 2021.

1. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

125766FF-C2A3-4E78-9CAB-E65BAF7C1479.jpeg I need to order a whole new set of pickups for my HSS guitar. It’s dark for a bolt on style guitar. I removed the factory pickups long ago and lost then sadly and am over the single humbucker style.

I’ve been going back and forth about what kind of pickups to get. Should I get a lower output hunbucker so the output level is uniform across the pickups or embrace the lack of balance and get a high output bridge and regular singles? I considered high output singles but I want a guitar that’s less noisy this time around.

I’m leaning towards a super distortion style pickup and the bridge and dark singles but I’m open to any suggestions.

2. Novatuc

Novatuc Tele-Meister

It depends on what you want from the guitar. I'm not a fan of the HSS layout because you lose somewhere. Like you said, you need a low powered HB or high powered singles to match things up. A friend had the same dilemma in his HSS so we changed the switch to a 4-way.

4. Neck
    3. Neck and middle
    2. Middle
    1. Bridge

For him, it became a more useful guitar. It's more or less the same as a 5-way but in his mind this was better.

DeepDangler likes this.
  3. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

You could always fit rails style pickups in the single slots. They can vary tonally from nearly single coil to overwound humbucker depending on what you choose.

DeepDangler and Fretting out like this.
  4. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

That guitar is cool! has a g&l vibe about it

DeepDangler likes this.
  5. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I love HSS strats for the versatility. I have DiMarzios in my main strat and used the output levels they list as a guide when I bought them. This humbucker is not as loud as some, and I chose hotter singles. The humbucker is still louder, but mainly used for leads by itself or sometimes for crunchy rhythm tones split. Position 2 is not quite right, will experiment on that soon. (Pro 54, Area 61, AT-1; and for classic rock and blues)

DeepDangler likes this.
  6. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

I could use a P90 that’s humbucker sized in the bridge which would keep some of the balance. Otherwise I was also thinking about a high output humbucker and using coil splitting.

7. JKjr

JKjr Tele-Holic

Amazing. I haven't visited for awhile, and when I do I get to give the same answer for two questions. What'r the odds?
    I just posted on the Strat forum, "How do you wire your HSS?" thread. I'm too old to link it, sorry.

Here's the deal. If you use this wiring you can use any bucker you want without worrying about matching output. You match it with the blend pot. Your high output tone is hum cancelling, so no noise. And I haven't heard one yet that didn't sound better turned down then by splitting the coils. Plus you can keep (and even vary) the quack in#2.

Attached Files:

SRHmusic and DeepDangler like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.