1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

HS wiring help needed...

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by IcoRan, Jan 6, 2018.

1. IcoRan

IcoRan TDPRI Member

I have an HS tele and I wanted to rewire it but adding a push/pull potentiometer used for volume that coil splits the inner (adjustable) coil of the humbucker.
    So these are the specs:

-Fender humbucker on the bridge
    -Some kind of standard 2 wire neck pickup

So yeah this is pretty much it: HS tele, 3 way blade switch, volume (push/pull), tone.

I would be really thankfull if someone posted the wiring diagram.

2. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Holic

This is pretty easy and you may not even need a diagram once you understand the concept.

Your humbucker has 4 wires (and possibly a bare shield wire). Two of those wires are taped/shrink tubed together and aren't soldered to anything. If you take off the tape/shrink tubing and touch those wires to ground, the humbucker splits. So the push/pull pot just serves as a switch that connects those wires to ground. Pretty simple right? Everything else in the guitar is unchanged.

So how do you wire up the push/pull pot? It's easy if you remember that a push/pull pot is two separate components (a pot and a switch) and the two components are totally unrelated. So you first wire up the volume pot exactly the same way your current volume pot is wired. Then move on to the switch.

The push/pull switch will have 2 rows of 3 contacts. Ignore one of the rows entirely so you only need to think about one row of 3 contacts. The contact closest to the volume pot gets connected to ground (the pot casing). The middle contact gets connected to the pickup wires. The top contact gets connected to...nothing. And that's all there is to it.

This diagram shows one switch splitting two pickups so just ignore one of them.

[​IMG]

moosie and IcoRan like this.
  3. IcoRan

IcoRan TDPRI Member

You explained the concept so well and I am really thankful cause I am just starting to learn about wiring and so this will really help me.

4. IcoRan

IcoRan TDPRI Member

Just one more question:
    Which coil is on when the hum is splitted?

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Manufacturers use different color wires. The concept though is the same. Both coils inside the HB are wired in series. One after the other. So, you have a hot leg, which is one end of the first coil. Then where the two wires join together (that you'll be grounding), one is the first coil's ground side, and the other is the second coil's hot leg. Then, the wire running to ground is the ground wire from the second coil.

When you connect those middle wires to ground, The first coil now has it's ground side leg connected directly to ground. That's the working coil. The second coil is shorted: both leads connect to ground.

It can get confusing which is which with slug coils, north vs south, etc. You should be able to figure it out from this description, and your mfrs specs.

IcoRan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.