HRD lacks presence and treble

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Offsetsand70s, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Offsetsand70s

Offsetsand70s TDPRI Member

I have heard that this amp can get icepickey but to me it just sound muddy. Any help?

2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Need more info.

There are many possibilities.

How old is it? Has it always sounded muddy? How old are the tubes? When was it last serviced? Has it been modified? What speaker is in it?

Wally and Mike_LA like this.
  3. corliss1

corliss1 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I don't know if I'd say "icepicky" but I definitely get ear fatigue with these amps, although I do like the newer speakers they are using in the V4.

But yes, more details would be helpful.

4. Offsetsand70s

Its a gen 2 HRD MIM. I just got it a couple months ago used. It has always seemed like it wasn't as bright as it should be. It has Groove Tubes that were installed 2 years ago and JJ 12ax7 pre amp tubes. I replaced the first pre amp tube with a sovtek one to see if that did the trick but it did not.

5. Offsetsand70s

It currently has the eminence fender speaker that was used in the first two guns of the amp

6. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Friend of Leo's

I have a 410 Hot Rod DeVille that I feel is Muddy. A while ago I started using a Shiftline Twin preamp in the effects loop. Despite the Shiftline pre-amp being after the amplifier's pre-amp is does clean up the tone a lot.

I also recently bought a Gen 2 HRD that I've only used a little bit. I found it to be neither Muddy or Icepicky. Since I happen to have a spare Celestion Vintage 30 I plan on putting it in just to see if the amp does gain a little "Definition".
    IMG_20210626_124715.jpg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  7. Dacious

Dacious Doctor of Teleocity

Where is your treble? If it's above 6 with most guitars it's too much. Push treble too high and it acts like a master EQ booster.

Back mids and bass off. Set volume to where you want it. Then adjust treble to where it's sweet, not harsh. Then adjust mds to where the amp sounds full. Then bass.

The early versions of this amp had too much first stage gain coupled with a bad slope on the volume control. V3 and V4 are supposed to be much better . Dropping in a 5751, 12AY7 or 12AT7 in V1 will improve the amp. Done this to 2 amps. It pulls harshness and muddiness out and makes the reverb much nicer.

8. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Do you have the knowledge to safely work with high voltage like you will find in a tube amp?

My initial guess is the power tubes or the connections around them.
    Do both tubes have the same heater glow? Possible heater connection problem not allowing one tube to conduct.
    Do you hear any crackling when the tubes are moved? Possible poor contacts in the socket or possible poor solder joints/cracked traces on the board. This is very common with Fender PCB amps from this era.
    Do you have some other 6L6 tubes to try? Possibly the tubes have gone south or were never all that good sounding in the first place.
    Possible cold bias? You may have to know the safety protocols for high voltage to determine this.

Can you identify the GT 6L6 tubes in your amp? GT-6L6B, GT-6L6GE, etc.

Iirc, the HRD tone knobs are set fairly high on the treble and fairly low on the mid and bass. Is it still muddy when set this way?

Are you using humbuckers or single coils?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I love the Hot Rod Deluxe.

All versions have been workhorse backline amps forever, for a reason. I've used many of them on stage for that reason. And I'm always happier to find one of them than a reissue Twin or DR.

All versions until the most current one are also really bright. Bright that needs to be tamed a bit.

The current one - IV - is I think by far the best. But if yours is dark and muddy it does need service.

superjam144 likes this.
  10. Offsetsand70s

Using Single coils (Strat and Jag). It is still muddy even with the bass off and the mids low. I do not know which GT are in the amp other than 6L6. I would rather not work with with high voltages

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
  11. Offsetsand70s

Is the treble supposed to get harsh? Mines at 8 and still feels like it lacks presence

12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How many more times and ways can folks say your amp as described is not right and needs service?

13. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Friend of Leo's

I have an HRD IV and it sounds very different depending on the guitar. On my Alder/Rosewood 60s Tele, it is dull and muddy. On my Classic Vibe Tele with A3 pickups it is icepick bright.

I've only played the amp in a carpeted room, on the floor. I've noticed that when I tilt the amp about 45 degrees it is much cleaner, brighter.

All these tonal differences without ever even touching any of the knobs on the amp, no pedals, nothin but me and the guitars.

14. Dacious

Dacious Doctor of Teleocity

Way too high for most guitars. Where's your volume? What's the guitar?

15. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

I would bet that it is one one the preamp tubes that is worn. Did you only replace the first one? Perhaps try the other positions as well.

16. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

Are you playing it on the clean channel or the lead channel?

The lead channel can be kind of muddy and "ugly".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.