How's your new office holding up?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Mar 31, 2020.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

When I upgraded to really good Ubiquiti WiFi at home I did not think it would have the current test and it's holding up just fine.

What's more of a challenge is space and quiet. I've had a home office for years. Now our house is office for a school teacher, college student and two high school students. my space that's usually quiet is not. At times no place is quiet.

For my wife I also need to see if Zoom will blur the background like Microsoft Teams. I heard comments about the house from her laptop speakers.

The dog loves this new routine.

Edit: Lunch and dinner have been much improved with 5 of us here.

uriah1 and telemnemonics like this.
  2. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My office is the same. I set up my son in his room to finish out college semester. My daughter is now doing counselling via Zoon from her room, as well as her last few tasks for her master's degree. It's working - we just close doors for privacy. The three of us are on one end of the upstairs. My wife hangs out downstairs.

The new router is handling streaming (wife downstairs) and one to three video calls upstairs just fine. I'm glad I upgraded a few months ago - the old router would jitter a bit with all those streaming applications running. Mind you, it was 6 years old or so. I'm also glad our ISP upgraded us fro 100 to 150 Mb. That helps as well.

imwjl likes this.
  3. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Mrs. has the "office"...I'm in the sunroom...we are both doing schoolwork (hers is serious, mine is "continuing ed"). Today I broke my chair...which wouldn't normally be an issue, but my work table is bar height. Breaking my chair while doing drawing work was actually fortuitous since a week ago this was my guitar practice chair and I may have gone down with a guitar in hand. I have one other straight stick bar stool I can use until something better pops.

imwjl likes this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

To get into hermit mode, I tried working from our condo at the ski hill (it is in the extreme upper righthand corner of this webcam shot):

bw.jpg

Now that all the ski resorts are shut down, it's a ghost town! A ghost town with crappy wifi. :mad:Back in town, working from an empty office now.

5. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

So when I got married, part of the deal was that when the cats finally died, we'd have an entire year without pets. That was a year ago October. Since that date, the children have been bugging us about getting cats again. Well, after our January vacation, we went and got a couple young ones.

Since I got laid off then, the cats have never had to deal with an empty house. I wonder how they'll take it?

6. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

The wife is in the living room dealing with her work issued lap top, the standard POS. Since I am retired, my new job is providing her with three meals a day, sarcasm, and kisses on the neck.

imwjl and stormsedge like this.
  7. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Meister

Same as it ever was; I’m still going in every day.

stormsedge likes this.
  8. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

I'm still going to mine and there are very few people around. I am still getting things done and enjoying the relative lack of traffic for Atlanta.

stormsedge likes this.
  9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

well, there's no one here but me. single dad and now empty nest
    can't (shouldn't) go anywhere...

I spend most of my time in the same small area, sleep on the couch and the work station/laptop is 10 feet away

10. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Working from home is okay, but I'd rather do it from the office. Being stuck here 24/7 is going to make me loose it in a relatively short time. Fortunately, I had to make a run to the pharmacy today, which gave me a few minutes respite.

telemnemonics likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I go to work most days but am now stuck with zoom for my 12 step meetings.
    I have a couple of elected 12 step service positions both at the group and area level and met for four hours on Sunday.
    I had not thought of a blur function and arranged my ipad view to have a wall of art and a Marshall half stack.
    Other possible views were maybe embarrassing!
    My wife had to tiptoe around a bit but it wasn't too bad, she has a painting studio closed off with a door so can make noise in there and not be bothered by the random voices.
    No wifi problems here but some users
    I suppose on cell signal or shared wifi were pretty terrible.
    My wife actually had a face time with parents while I had the zoom meeting and it was never glitchy.

I'm also doing zoom from work now and then which is cool, at one regional meeting I was under a crystal chandelier painting planters, but mostly as listener to a presentation only making comments or asking questions now and then.

Much of the Sunday meeting was me presenting info and writing three motions about our change to the zoom format.
    We have multiple subcommittees that will share one zoom acct and the exec committee will share a second zoom acct.
    For a bunch of ex crooks we're getting along pretty well!
    I gotta say I'm grateful to others before me who graciously taught be business organization stuff like Roberts Rules of Order, spreadsheets, motion writing language etc.

When I was doing presentations to prison officials to set up a program for inmates, I was given an actual briefcase to bring materials in. That was a challenge and seemed pretentious but when facing a line of officials to sign documents it made perfect sense.

My office skills are still a joke but I can be trusted with a range of basics.
    Zoom presented a new challenge though without being able to get a feel for the room when for example I got one friendly amendment to a money motion and then a second amendment changing $1000 to $500 to $250.
    Normally I look around the room and can tell what is supported, but instead I just ended up accepting the second amendment and we voted pro. A bigger desktop screen might help but not all attendees had cameras on.

Some zoom meetings get over 400 attending and present their own challenges.

12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Darn kitchen too close to new office.

imwjl and telemnemonics like this.
  13. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Current office is a bistro table in the kitchen. When we get more boxes unpacked, we'll get a new office desk and move outta the kitchen. It is nice to be only 10ft from the fridge or coffee-maker though...

14. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Holic

Holdin' up alright but I worked from home for three years, and the missus did it three days per week over that same span plus had a two year headstart. We're managing, but we were married for 20 years prior to that and actually like each other most days.

My current job didn't allow work from home at all before now, and it's been a bit of an eye-opener to watch the organization struggle to spin it up for 800-odd folks while I was ready to go day one.

Beyond the technical (early Ubiquiti Amplifi guy here too), it's also illuminating to hear from colleagues and friends who are having trouble with their families. People really need to learn how to set and respect "working" boundaries at home, or I think we're going to see a lot more broken homes. You don't traipse through your coworkers' spaces all day and ask them inane questions... don't do it to your significant other. If it annoys you and they're doing it... tell them calmly at a time after they've done it.

Mindfulness goes a long way, but that's evergreen advice.

Hope you're all doing well.

imwjl likes this.
  15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Same as always, here. We're both used to working from the sunroom when we're not on the road. My wife was told to stand down from travel and work remote, and I was sent home to work remote, so it's business as usual here. We're equipped with sufficient technology and really like each other's company, so it's all good.

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I just saw a report on TV about public school teachers from home, a Washington DC teacher said the school discovered that 30% of the kids don't have access to the tech needed to meet on zoom for lessons.
    That's a wow.

17. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've also heard reports from the new home-school front of students suspended, and teachers fired for drinking on the job

telemnemonics and awasson like this.
  18. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Sheesh. I'm actually losing weight.

uriah1 likes this.
  19. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

In the early 2000's during the Dot-Com bust our lease came up and we moved our office to our townhouse. When we moved to a house in 2005, we built a full featured office into the house. It's separate and fully sufficient with multiple workstations, a meeting area, bathroom, utility closet, etc... The only thing that's changed is that we've been self-isolating since the first week of March and other than the odd trip to the grocery store or going for a run for exercise, we've been locked in 24/7. Work is about the same.

20. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Today was my first day working at home.
    Set up my office space in my music room.
    I figured there can’t be anything in there to distract me....
    C4EB06D1-4157-429F-B06C-1EB6025D4645.jpeg

imwjl likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.