How's your local newspaper doing?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by micpoc, May 6, 2019.

1. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I think you have this part very backwards.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It's important that couple can split the puzzle page. My wife does the crossword, I do Sudoku and Kenken. Neither of us gets the cryptic crossword.

uriah1 likes this.
  3. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Old media hound here... I used to own and run our local small town/regional weekly paper. For a decade, I ran my tail off and built it up pretty good... sold it five years ago because it was roaring. The new owner from a neighboring city didn't work it quite so hard, kind of coasted on what I did, finally shuttered it a couple of weeks ago and went to work for the same city newspaper I just quit.

Up until last November I was selling ad space and digital media in the larger neighboring city for our nations largest print entity but Facebook and Google just continue to grab more and more and more from local business until only table scraps remain. This has caused the bigger paper to be nearly decimated staff-wise over the past few years, and well, the downward spiral accellerates. If a paper isn't owned locally independent and run with the community top of mind it's a death sentence as far as I'm concerned.

As long as big media outlets are able measure clicks and nudge the narrative to garner clicks, the polarization will continue. When my mothership media company partnered with Google, the very enemy that was killing us (and healthy discourse), it was the beginning of the end for me. Don't be evil LOL

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    uriah1, P Thought and scrapyardblue like this.
  4. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mine was the one where 5 people were killed last summer. I don't know for sure but I expect it's subscriber rate increased after that. A have a friend who's a marketing director for the parent group I should ask him.

5. Miguel-martinez

Miguel-martinez TDPRI Member

well, in Bogota, where I live the paper is gone, mostly digital now and on paper only survives because of the subscribers it has from many years, I don't think they get many sub lately.

It was common to find a np at every store, now they are hard to find.

6. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

I disagree with the cause / effect part of the above... but I very much agree that people *are* lazy, and take the easy path to information when it's available to them. I'm certainly as guilty of it as anyone.

Anyhow. One of the reasons I still get my paper, is the local coverage... the local teevee news does a terrible job of investigative reporting ... sure they are great for showing you compelling images of the boat fire in the marina (yesterday), or the after effects of the tornado (2 days ago). But they don't do squat re: investigating our pill mills, or the local judge's wife being a thieving guardian of the elderly, facilitated by their friend, another judge. Those exposes were done by the paper. If it were not for the gumshoe work by staff writers, plowing through stacks of legal filings, that story of estate theft and abuse would never have become known. Those pretty faces on Channels 5 and 12 have zero desire to do that kind of journalism... they are looking to catapult their way to a job in Miami, and then the motherlode: NYC or LA. Swimming pools, movie stars!

A second reason I still get the local paper, is the dirty little secret that ONLINE SOURCES FOR LOCAL ENTERTAINMENT INFO ARE TERRIBLY UNRELIABLE. I have a friend on Facebook, he runs a FB app that lists and updates the local entertainment calendar... I can easily scope out who is playing where in two or three clicks, across three counties. NO online, news oriented or weekly online publication, does this. It's an exception... and he does it out of wanting to support the cultural scene here. No 'news outlet' bothers with a comprehensive schedule across county lines.

And yeah, I read the obits regularly... I'm getting up there. It's a reality check. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    P Thought likes this.
  7. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Wait.
    What?

uriah1 likes this.
  8. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the insider's perspectives; much appreciated.

tvvoodoo likes this.
  9. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Once per week, County news here. I like it and subscribe.

10. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The city paper here is possibly the worst daily in the nation.

Literacy rates in the U.S. are so low, they stopped publishing the data.

11. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

The once mighty Denver Post is now just a sad pamphlet. The once mighty Rocky Mountain News is long gone.

12. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

About 25 years ago I lived in Denver, and on Sunday morning I'd get the Post and The Rocky Mountain News. It'd take most of the day to read them both.

13. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

My enterprise network manager role puts me where I see the logs of where hundreds of employees and many thousands of guests in our stores and cafes go on the Internet. In addition state of the art network security software does layers of protection and reporting. I see reports and alarms for malicious and suspicious requests. Even those fools who argue for their Windows XP getting viruses they might not know about, and I see where they come from.

In all that there's much more seeking garbage than running away from it. Much social media use links to dangerous stuff. The network based threat intelligence uses large databases of known bad stuff. The content filtering flags fake news and stuff with evil intent.

One thing I find very disturbing with the people seek what they want and tend to be tribal is how often popular right wing sites are flagged by the security systems. If I drill down I see flagged content can be off shore sites hosting malicious payloads. I have a test system where I have no personal risk of getting a virus. I've used that to see a memes people forward on Facebook are in essence idiots being manipulated and they run to it.

scrapyardblue and uriah1 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.