1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How's your boss?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Mar 5, 2021.

1. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

All things considered, not bad at all. Kind of super scary smart, which I count as a very good thing. Also means that he's not overly adept at the social graces, but after you get to know him, it's ok. Above all, he's ethical to the core. That has made a big difference for me. Worked for too many MBA thugs who think that think stealing other people's money is just a business model. I'm not saying that all MBA's are like that, I'm just saying in every enterprise I worked for, the people who advocated for unethical choices as a business model were all MBA's. I guess that's just a coincidence.

So I hung around for almost 24 years and I'll retire at the end of April; at the moment that's 56 days, 5 hours and 53 minutes. But who's counting...?

2. Lunch meat

Lunch meat TDPRI Member

As a seasonal worker, augmenting my retirement with a state park maintenance job, I have a lot of bosses. Fortunately, I have no issues with any of them. The compensation is good, they're kind, flexible, and recognize my skill set. I used to manage a similar operation and enjoy the work so much that I'd do it for free.

xtrajerry and Fiesta Red like this.
  3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

I AM THE BOSS!!!

.... but my wife is not home yet.

4. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Retired. I am CEO. Miz Diane is CFO and therefore, the defacto Boss. I just served her Sushi in bed, for Dog's sake.

Maybe I'll get a cookie.

unixfish and northernguitar like this.
  5. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’m a middle school administrator; my boss is one of the smartest people I know and have had the pleasure to work with, doing what’s best for the students and damn the senior administration.

That ain’t usually the case in my biz ...

Skully, GGardner, Fiesta Red and 2 others like this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Now retired, so this no longer applies.....
    But, when I began teaching in public schools, I, like MANY people, thought teachers had it easy. No real bosses or the kinds of back stabbing and bitter rivalries found in the "real world".......Au Contraire, mon frere......( and I did NOT teach French)
    I encountered more incompetent idiots who were teachers, who could NEVER make it in a real job......and more narcissistic sociopaths in administration that I ever believed possible. My last principal blamed everybody but himself for any problem, alienated veteran teachers who had hundreds of adoring former students, and ran off the "homely" women teachers and staff in favor of younger, attractive ones, regardless of abilities.
    There are MANY wonderful, talented teachers in our schools, but almost as many inept and lazy ones, too.

xtrajerry, 1955, P Thought and 6 others like this.
  7. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

^THIS!

8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I was about to say I don't have any boss stomps now, and
    then I read it.

Just retired, so I guess no bosses except domestic
    and of course our cats.

P-Nutz likes this.
  9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

She's sleeping in, I'll let you know later....

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife is bossy. No not that cow named Bossy, I mean she is bossy, not all of the time, just when she's around me.

drlucky likes this.
  11. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

My boss asked me the other day, "where have you been, I have been looking for you?!". He was kinda pissed.
    Truth is I was working real hard, it is just that I havent been in the office for a couple hours.
    And I answered, "you know what they say about really good workers this days? It is very hard to find them!".
    I could see that he wanted to laugh, but because he was "pissed", he just left the office without a word! :lol:

12. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

How about some of your direct reports out there? I’m sure they’re all perfect as well. Maybe some of these problems go both ways.

13. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Admin don’t live in the classroom and are largely out to lunch. And by out to lunch, I mean just that, tax-paid, catered lunches where they discuss ridiculous concepts like teaching math through problem solving, but avoiding the skill-building necessary to get to that point. They learn these ideas from local faculties of education, or jump on the latest trend. Often, decisions are made on the best presentations....not the best ideas.

nojazzhere, rod and P Thought like this.
  14. mrbdxmpl

mrbdxmpl Tele-Holic

Mine too! (i work for myself)

drlucky and northernguitar like this.
  15. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve had the whole gamut from horrible to awesome.

The current (secular employment) boss is awesome. Deceptively intelligent, never condescending, always ready and able to help/teach/lead, without getting in our way. He goes to bat for us when there’s a conflict (and as safety coordinator in a construction company, there’s alway conflict), and on the rare occasions we’re wrong, he doesn’t make a big deal out of it—he explains why and then says, “You know what to do—go do it!”

I could (literally) walk across the street and get a $12k/year raise, and I’m not even tempted, because this team (and especially my boss) works with me...and my wife agrees—we make more than enough to get by and she sees how happy I am.

The Home Boss is amazing too...and she’s still hot after 28 years, too.

16. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I retired from my old job in health and safety. Now, I work as a cashier in a supermarket chain. It gets busy, but I like the pace and do 30 hours per week. I've been off sick a couple of months with my mental health, I go back next week.

In the time off, the store manager called me to see how I was, and my line manager also. I don't think that in the whole of my 39 years working that I've ever had that kind of treatment, they really care like no other firm I've worked for. If they do that for part time workers, what would it be like if I were full time.

P Thought and Fiesta Red like this.
  17. Toto'sDad

I'm kidding about my wife, she's not really bossy, she's just the world's most adroit back seat driver. Like others here, I'm retired now, but I never would work for a boss I didn't like. I've done some jobs I didn't like, but usually moved on pretty quickly if I really didn't like the job or the boss. One time I was applying for a job where you had to submit a resume with your employment history. I saw the interview wasn't going all that well, so when the boss remarked that he didn't like a guy who had moved around at work a lot, and that I had listed a lot of former employers. I replied, well you know CJ, I only put down about half of 'em. He actually laughed. I didn't get the job, but I got a much better one a short while later. I wouldn't do anything different I had a good run in life, and tried my best not to take a lot of guff off of anyone.

P Thought, Fiesta Red and drlucky like this.
  18. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My current boss is really good. He doesn't give much direction because I know what to do and I do it. He checks up now and again, and if I need help he's good about making sure I get what I need. We knew each other long before either of us worked for this company, so there wasn't much learning each others' style.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  19. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I was treated like an idiot by idiots .

3fngrs and Fiesta Red like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

My attitude about bosses caused me to have to move quickly more than once. I was supposed to report on a Monday one time at a new job. When I got there, it didn't go well right off the bat, so I packed up and left. Now we had moved from a small town to Bakersfield, and spent most of our money on the move so I had to do something quick, 'cause I didn't want to go home and tell momma I didn't have a job. I looked through the phone book, and found a local Oliver Tractor dealership, I figured not many had experience working on Oliver tractors and I did. I drove straightway to the dealer, and had a job in fifteen minutes after I got there. Job proved to be a great one, with a good boss. I moved up from mechanic to salesman and had a very good run there. Fate is as strange companion but if you let it, fate will find your way in life.

RobRiggs, tery, P Thought and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.