How's this for an organized search?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Flat6Driver, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

This fellow posts on CL every once in a while. It's an upbeat ad, but I wonder what it's like to work with him. This project is not for me, clearly. It's very specific about what he (they) want. But, interestingly, how many people who are professionals (in something else) have the time and committment to make this work? What do you all think? I have seen full time jobs advertised with less specificity.

(I put the link with the band's philosphy, etc at the top).

http://www.norightmind.net/Newbie/about.html

2. burtwangcaster

burtwangcaster Tele-Holic

:lol:...'dare we say Paul McCartney' ? I doubt that the guys who actually play with Macca could pass this audition.
    The tone from Dharma and Greg...'legendary tone'. A guy walks into the music store and asks for the Dharma and Greg pedal.:lol::rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  3. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

Nice add, I like the fact that all is laid out. Even the fact that it is Jangle rock and in major keys. Super, you know going in what's expected.

I wouldn't apply I like all keys Major, minor, flatted and the same goes with chord extensions etc... it's nice to break things up with some Joe Jackson, Costello, Bacharach, even selections from the G.A.S. (Great American Song Book).... Beach music (i.e. shag music) is even more complicated that what this add is offering...

BUT, it's an honest add that will attract. I wonder if Sal M. is running this add? Sounds like it, he's up in the Centerville area.

Good on ya!

4. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I can't imagine he'll find someone. He pretty much asked for a resume.

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

TL;DR can I b in you're band? :lol:

teletimetx likes this.
  6. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

This project is my worst nightmare.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

The part about (guitar) tone reveals himself as a big tone fetishist. I'd axe that part. He's waxing too poetic about a detail that will either be there or not, and he will discover this at auditions. As it is, including that portion is extraneous, and takes away from the efficiency that he should want in his ad.

8. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

I like it. If I lived in that area, I'd be sending him a line. As a member of a 4-piece, rock cover band, and having a full-time job and family, you gotta do it right if you want to gig. We're able to practice once a week if we're lucky, and if we're not focused and well organized by our band leader, the gigs will suck.

I wouldn't do Cathy's Clown though. Uh Uh. No.

9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

It sounds like someone who recruits for major corporations who wants to start a band. He knows what he wants and he lays it out. Not a band that I'd join, but I'd be curious to see how it all pans out.

10. blowtorch

Yeah, I sensed the corpspeak behind it, too :rolleyes:

thessandman likes this.
  11. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Am I the only one who is slightly annoyed by the incorrect use of the colon preceding a list?

12. blowtorch

I wasn't: probably because I do the same type of thing all the time

13. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow.
    For a Dad band? We rehearse twice a week, most of us are empty-nesters with either tolerant or non existent spouses and would never get into the weeds of specific tone and bell like clarity. Either that gets done on your own time or ti isn't going to happen. Rehearsals have to be more like dress rehearsals than jam time when you get together so infrequently. Ruthless organization.

Unless they rehearse for 8 hours - when is there time to work on the vital stuff - like the cues, harmonies, endings, eye contact, finding levels, being able to transition all that to a complete different setting - just record it and everyone goes home and thinks it over. Then starts lobbing shells at each other.

14. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

Looks good. I like to receive (and provide) as much information as possible in these types of searches. I typically respond to CL ads with links/photos from recent live performances so interested parties can gauge my style/appearance/ability for further consideration. I also always state clearly that I am a responsible job holding, home owning, family raising, license-to-operate-a-motor-vehicle possessing citizen in good standing of Cornfield County, Maryland.

15. _dave_

_dave_ Tele-Meister

I read all the way down to the bottom of the LONG ad & realized There was more.

16. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Geez, I hope he finds his soul mate. Was this on eHarmony.com?

SecretSquirrel and craigs63 like this.
  17. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

He's been running a similar ad for a different band every couple of months for over a year When I looked at the website...it seems as if he's been the only member. There's a lot of type A people around here than errantly apply this to their hobby endeavors. I like the mention of the probationary period in the website. I would ntk make it that far....I chunked a song at my dad band practice on Monday. Oops.

I'm lucky if our singer/bassist doesn't pull out a new tune from his other band for us to do we don't know....despite practicing somethjng else. Keeps me on my toes since I did it to him and the drummer too! We never critique each others playing...drummer has a memory of a million songs despite coming out of the basement last summer.

I have an audition/jam for another project this weekend. Guy seems way more organized than my primary band. But nowhere like this.

18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I didn't mind his colon use at all.

My experience with these types of folks is that they expect everyone else to be buttoned up, but aren't very buttoned up (music & singing wise) or the other guys they have aren't.

Usually there is a fatal flaw in the band... and it ain't you... and about 20 minutes in, you are wondering how you can leave gracefully.

19. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

he obviously does a lot of powerpoint presentations at work so if you think the ad is a bit too elaborate you probably wouldn't want to go to one of them.

20. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

• COMMITMENT to a very disciplined approach -- which is mission-critical for a part-time initiative to achieve success.

uhhhh, thanks. A guy in SJ runs an add that isn't this nutty, but I actually played with the guy... the other musicians were kind of cool (the bass player was awesome) but, this 'leader' guy... he played WAY too loud and was bossy and corrected people who weren't doing anything wrong.. and he was an eye roller...

Califiddler, I dragged you to this shindig once... what were your thoughts?

the other thing is/was this guy was really sporadic about answering emails... too funny.

Another guy in Oakland had a similar ad (different kind of music tho) and made a bunch of noise about being a berkeley prof etc.... again, cool band, he was maybe not the king of suck, but at least a duke... anything that was amiss (and his singing was amiss) was hastily corrected....

a guy I used to play with... he was in a band with a silicon valley millionaire (who saw himself as 'a one man rascal flatts') OMG and said it with a straight and earnest face... anyway, after gigs, this guy would have 'after action' meetings with the band and give them score cards/report cards.

lots of nutty people out there... some of them are organized!

Jlwctn and trancedental like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.