How's THIS for a Bad Dog post?!

charlie chitlin

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Last night I go over to a guy's house.
He's a harp player and I'm putting a band together.
He has an OLD dog...medium sized.
He tells me don't touch the dog.
It comes up to me, looks up, wags its tail a little, so I put my hand near it (fingers curled up) to let it get a whiff of me (is this REALLY what you're supposed to do with a dog? Why do we do this?) and the dog sinks its teeth into the back of my hand. Not a nip.
It wasn't letting go and I more or less tore my hand out of its mouth.
Hurt like F.
The rest of the evening, the dog keeps coming up to me, sniffing and wagging its tail like it wants to be friends.
I kept my hands on my guitar.
I played with a hanky wrapped around my hand.
Spent the night with it elevated, but as soon as I got out of bed, it started bleeding pretty good.
So, you ask, Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
The guy is a damn good harp player and a nice guy... I think I'll put him in the band.
The dog, on the other hand, does not get the gig.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
I would demand to see the dog's rabies certificate and go to the doctor for some antibiotics. I cannot for the life of me understand people who tolerate this behavior from their dogs and then expose other people to it.

yeah that's insane and irresponsible. if the dog is going to be like that, you have to put it in a room or gate an area off when people are around. i wouldn't feel comfortable staying if that happened to me, i'd ask/do what you said immediately and be like, "okay, we're not practicing here."

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
I would demand to see the dog's rabies certificate and go to the doctor for some antibiotics. I cannot for the life of me understand people who tolerate this behavior from their dogs and then expose other people to it.
Yeah, that's what bedroom doors are for. You have guests coming and you know you have a dog with issues, you take steps to avoid issues.

I have two dogs, they are very friendly but sometimes people aren't comfortable with dogs. There are some people who say "this is the dogs house and guests should learn to deal with it" however if you have a dog that doesn't listen (and mine don't when they're excited) you play it safe regardless.

Last edited:

charlie chitlin

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
The dog is vaxed and has been inside for years.
I think I bled enough to clean the wound :eek:
So far, it doesn't hurt any more than if a grown man stabbed me in the back of the hand with a screwdriver.
Ooooh...I just thought of that scene from Goodfellas...

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Last night I go over to a guy's house.
He's a harp player and I'm putting a band together.
He has an OLD dog...medium sized.
He tells me don't touch the dog.
It comes up to me, looks up, wags its tail a little, so I put my hand near it (fingers curled up) to let it get a whiff of me (is this REALLY what you're supposed to do with a dog? Why do we do this?) and the dog sinks its teeth into the back of my hand. Not a nip.
It wasn't letting go and I more or less tore my hand out of its mouth.
Hurt like F.
The rest of the evening, the dog keeps coming up to me, sniffing and wagging its tail like it wants to be friends.
I kept my hands on my guitar.
I played with a hanky wrapped around my hand.
Spent the night with it elevated, but as soon as I got out of bed, it started bleeding pretty good.
So, you ask, Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
The guy is a damn good harp player and a nice guy... I think I'll put him in the band.
The dog, on the other hand, does not get the gig.
This is similar to the story I related about Thanksgiving at a brother's this year. One of his sons brought his "youngish" dog, and at one point people were horsing around with the dog, and got him agitated. He came up to me, and I put out my hand for him to sniff.....and he took a chunk out of it. It ripped open my skin, and I bleed profusely anyway. We used antibiotic ointment and bandaged it, and it ached like a mofo for a couple days, but gradually improved. Hope your hand gets better soon.
My biggest concern, though, is.....do you really want a full-time harp player in your band? ;)
I'd almost prefer a dog-bite.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My friend and bandmate Al had a pit bull that was aggressive.
After my first run in with it, I’d call Al (pre cell phone) an hour or so before I’d come over.
I’d remind him to lock that SOB up before I get there.
I suppose the dog was just doing his job.
Dogs generally like me.
Not that one.

Last edited:

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
The dog is vaxed and has been inside for years.
I think I bled enough to clean the wound :eek:
So far, it doesn't hurt any more than if a grown man stabbed me in the back of the hand with a screwdriver.
Ooooh...I just thought of that scene from Goodfellas...
If you don't go to the doctor, and you should, at least soak your hand in some hot water, as hot as you can stand with a very liberal dose of salt in the water. Put as much salt as you think you need then add twice that amount in the water. No matter the state of the dog's vaccination status, there's a lot of bacteria in a dog's mouth. What are their two favorite things to lick?

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I'm guessing something along the lines of, "I told you not to touch the dog".
😁 Sorry, couldn't resist.

I thought the same thing. Or an eye roll, a head shake, and turn around to do their business. Then again, if that were the outcome, I doubt they would have been invited to join the band / come back.

SerpentRuss

Tele-Holic
There is a combo Antibiotic, Pain, Anti-scarring cream that CVS sells that works miracles. You can probably find it other places too.

Last year I suffered a dog bite breaking up fight between two dogs. My stupid fault and the dog wasn't trying to bite me, my thumb just slipped into her mouth as I was trying to get her to let go of another dog.

Short story, 6 puncture wounds to my left thumb, two of them making it to bone, one going completely through my thumb nail. The doctor said it would likely heal ugly, but she wasn't going to suture it because of the possibility of infection. The doctor gave me an antibiotic shot, oral antibiotics, and recommended dressing the wound with that cream. In a few weeks you couldn't even tell I was bitten.

posttoastie

Friend of Leo's
1642175268516.png

Thoughtfree

Tele-Holic
I would go to the house of a former jamming partner, and his dog would scream, howl and leap up on me, liberally spattering my pants with dog saliva. The owner and his wife would say, "Timmy loves you," laughing sheepishly. Well, OK, but he had two dogs in succession that did this. I don't jam with this guy any more, and this is much of the reason.