Howlin' Wolf Memorabilia

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'm not a collector of anything, but I have long wished to own something physical that Beethoven touched with his hands. Same with Howlin' Wolf, who was like Beethoven in some ways.

I'm sure that all of Beethoven's sketchbooks and ear trumpets are in collections and museums.

Looking a little bit for info on Wolf's memorabilia, I didn't find anything yet, but it does appear that things like posters, tickets, stage passes, etc. are in the $100s for just about any level of artist.

The discussion on the Live Howlin' Wolf thread about one of his business cards made me wonder if it would be possible to snag one of those from his long career.

Cleveland rock museum once had Wolf's leather briefcase that he used throughout his career.

Somewhere, somehow I saw some photos of famous people's underwear. Nope. Not even if it's the Wolf's. Especially if it's the Wolf's.

P Thought likes this.
  2. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I recently bought the paperback edition of Howlin' Wolf's bio "Moanin' at Midnight" off of Amazon. When I received it, I paged through it a bit looking at pics and reading short passages. In doing so, I discovered that it was signed inside the front cover.

After checking it closely, I believe it is Hubert Sumlin's autograph.

I compared it to his autograph's that I found on line and it look's the same to me...

I'm in the process of reading it but could send you pics of his autograph if you're interested in the book after I'm finished with it.

Thanks!

Rand Z

3. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Is it true that Chester Wolf took night classes in business at a local community college and also offered health insurance/dental/optical for his sidemen ?

That’s what I had heard.

6. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

All good occupations for a back door man.:rolleyes:

TequilaCaster and hemingway like this.
  7. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

It may be a good time to find memorabilia in estate sales ?

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

^^^^ Oh no, everything that was important to us, deemed collectible by us, is going to be just as coveted by Gen X’ers and Millenials. o_O

tery likes this.
  9. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Since I have the book with me, I read through to get a precise answer on the insurance questions. But, yeah, I'd heard that he paid his musicians unemployment if he didn't have gigs.

He took a lot of adult ed stuff over the years. He took composition/theory lessons from Richard Pick, a guitar professor from Roosevelt University. Don't remember about business classes, so I'll check that, too. Happy to do this. Wolf is my man.

Rowdyman, Mike Eskimo and 8barlouie like this.
  10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I watched a documentary about him recently and wondered what ever happened to that harmonica he blew all that cigar smoke through.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.