1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How'd you boomers tolerate this crap?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by blowtorch, Dec 9, 2020.

1. ratdoc

ratdoc TDPRI Member

Been a fan of the forum for a while, but would like to know if there's a way to filter troll posts from an individual? Asking for a friend...

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  2. Spooky88

Spooky88 TDPRI Member

Hmmm, I was 1+ y/o at the time the OP song was still seeing some radio play but even then I knew it was crap. i don't know about what everyone else but I was listening to the debut album of "The Doors".

3. HeathX

HeathX TDPRI Member

Yep. Like the Beatles or not, anyone who can listen to Revolver and not hear the genius isn't someone I'd ever trust with a playlist, much less get stuck in a band with.

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  4. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

I'm a boomer; just a few weeks shy of the big 60 :( :lol:

I grew up on a strict diet of Motown, country, gospel, classical, folk, pop, rock, etc., you name it I was enjoying it. :cool: Music is music no matter what form it comes in. If folks don't like it then don't listen to it. Over the years my musical taste have grown tremendously. Rap, hip-hop, new wave, house, techno, etc., whatever one desires to label whatever genre with whatever label, I'm 90% plus there. I've even gone through three different, extensive 'country phase' periods. :eek: WTF ?

Here are two of my favorites :confused: so, go figure .............

drlucky and M2roadwarrior like this.
  5. HeathX

HeathX TDPRI Member

"Practice guitar for hours each day. Do that for years on end and one day you will make it look so easy that people who have never done any of that will say that you're playing it wrong."

There. I fixed your sig. :D

drlucky and boris bubbanov like this.
  6. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

and for good measure :D Dōitashimashite

7. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

I don’t want to add to this ire, but I am a “boomer” and I wasn’t aware that “boomer” was a derogatory reference. I won’t let such a word ruin my day.

8. kippy74

kippy74 TDPRI Member

Me either although I can see how Ace their lead guitarist, would inspire thousands of kids to pick up a guitar and lipstick and high heels and bollock strangling pants. Plenty of signs they influenced lots of people. Not my cup of tea the sight of them was enough to put me off. They were really popular mid 80's though hence the inspiration of our professional friend.

aging_rocker likes this.
  9. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

I haven’t listened to commercial radio in years. Thanks to internet based radio and a device like a Logitech Squeezebox (no longer made), a person can find far better music...world wide. I highly recommend such a device.

18DE2B77-787D-4E9E-9455-20275A6D0A1F.jpeg

aging_rocker and blowtorch like this.
  10. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 TDPRI Member

Easy to tolerate when you're not a whining snowflake that expects the world to bow down to your sad, lazy, infantile ideals I guess. We weren't all victims expecting the whole world to be our safe space. I grew up in a diverse neighborhood with families from every part of the world and kids with every level of ability and talent yet we all got along and enjoyed playing in the streets together. Nobody went home and talked trash about others afterward as there was no internet. When everyone is in your face it's easier for everyone to be civil and most importantly and most relevant to this thread we had real and true tolerance of others and their taste and opinions. Today people tell others to eff off if they disagree on a color choice for guitar. You could do that back in the day but it was in person so you allowed for resolution and acceptance as you couldn't just click and be gone. It is truly sad that this is so sorely misunderstood and you resort to name calling to boost your pathetic ego. I'm sure the op has not read this far as the attention span just isn't there. And if I get censored or booted that's okay as I've had my say and I know it was appreciated by those who matter. Stay cheeky! ;)

ratdoc, BelmontBluesMan and Donnie55 like this.
  11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

:rolleyes:
    How would you prefer your generation be referred to?
    Any pronoun preferences, while we're at it?
    (You know- NTTAWWT)

12. HeathX

HeathX TDPRI Member

Classic closet-case megafan. Which Beatles hug-pillow do you cry into at night? I'm thinking "Ringo," but then again you're acontrarian sort, so it's possibly a rare Pete Best or Stu Sutcliffe one-off stuffed with your mum's old knickers.

bluespenny likes this.
  13. blowtorch

:)once again it's both amusing and bemusing how the superfans somehow take realistic critiques of their bandcrush personally, and respond with personal attacks, although none were intitially offered

14. ayjaydee

ayjaydee TDPRI Member

I am just a bit older than a boomer (77). I have always hated the Dave Clark Five! Their somewhat manufactured version of Do You Love Me was a big hit in UK. A high energy version was released a few weeks earlier by a little known Liverpool band names "Faron's Flamingos". FF's version was much superior to DC5's but DC5 were signed to a label who were able to pour much more money into publicity. Faron's drummer (Trevor Morais) was vastly superior to Dave Clark; Trevor went on to become one of the top session drummers in the UK. FFs were part of the early 60s Liverpool "Merseybeat" scene; there were a large number of bands, all with similar repertoires, who played live gigs around the area week in week out, maybe several nights a week, so they had honed their talents and become good tight bands. Although from near London I did get to the Cavern a few times in 60-63 (my ears never really recovered). This video gives a pretty good picture of the sweaty packed place it was. BTW I think the lead guitarist on the left (Nicky Crouch) is playing a Burns Black Bison, so named because of its exaggerated horns.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    GibbyTwin likes this.
  15. Donnie55

Donnie55 Tele-Afflicted

You one day hopefully will be 60 years old. And some cocky kid is going to walk up and pose you the same question you have asked here today.. At that point you will understand..

16. telecastasaurus

telecastasaurus TDPRI Member

I was never a beatles fan. Sgt. Pepper??????????????? I did appreciate George Harrison, the only one with any talent in the Traveling Wilburys.

17. blowtorch

been there done that got the t shirt- (I've got kids)

boris bubbanov likes this.
  18. Donnie55

Donnie55 Tele-Afflicted

You still need to grow up..

19. Winky

Winky TDPRI Member

Yep. The first songs that motivate people to play can be more powerful if they're achievable and encouraging. Stuff like "Wonderwall" and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" will do more to encourage budding players than anything by Jeff Beck (for example). Two parts that help motivation: encouragement and inspiration, and they are very different. Learning to play Kiss falls into encouragement.

drlucky and blowtorch like this.
  20. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Holic

Phony Beatlemainia has bitten the dust. This is the worst thread to mankind. Lipstick on a pig etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.