1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How'd you boomers tolerate this crap?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by blowtorch, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Lend27

Lend27 TDPRI Member

I don't recall any influential guitarist ever saying they were influenced by the Dave Clark 5. Their music isn't even guitar based.
    This has to be a clickbait troller.
    And by the way, most of the great guitar based music was written by boomers.

2. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 TDPRI Member

Why is this sort of troll posting allowed? We all know "boomer" is used today as a derogatory reference and as a cheap attack to incite anger. It is used to create political division and hate towards an entire generation. It is not funny or cute or merely a reference to age. And if it is an age reference, how is that different than slang for race or sexual orientation? It's sad that this needs to be pointed out in this forum.

3. mrblanche

mrblanche TDPRI Member

"Henry the Eighth" is an old song (at least back to 1910). For the Hermits, it was just a fun cover.

4. beeflin

beeflin TDPRI Member

There's absolutely no point posting one stupid record to prove that there's always been stupid music. We know that. The point about the 60's is what was good about them. If we looked at the *best* singles from the charts then and now we might have something worth discussing. I suggest this starting point:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_Hot_100_number_ones_of_1966

5. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Oh good other “hey boomer” attack....

Kiwi_Neil, Gary135r and oldgofaster like this.
  6. mrblanche

mrblanche TDPRI Member

Did you cover it with the echo? DC5 didn't perform it live, because they couldn't.

7. oldfartatplay1320

oldfartatplay1320 TDPRI Member

I'm a boomer, and FWIW, I think a lot of pop from my era was gawdawful. However, I also think ALL pop music from today sucks. I mostly listen to classics and classical.

8. mrblanche

mrblanche TDPRI Member

I listen to the Sirius/XM Sixties Satellite Survey each week. There is an immense difference between 1963 and 1965. Ah, 1964. I remember it like it was yesterday. In fact, maybe better than yesterday. KIMN, Denver 95!

goodcheaptele likes this.
  9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Just search here "blowtorch beatles beetles" , and set aside a good weekend or so :)

10. goodcheaptele

goodcheaptele Tele-Meister

Well, if you judge a whole generation of music based on one song you would be missing the point. Even so I would take that song over anything done by Miley Cyrus or Cardi B. But it is all a matter of taste in the end. Also to appreciate the music of a generation you would have had to live it. And that could be a defense of the music of any generation.

11. mikegotch

mikegotch TDPRI Member

You fail to understand that rock and rock was meant to be fun..not great musical composition.. I totally disagree with you.

goodcheaptele and oldgofaster like this.
  12. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

Hey beeflin, I was just doing this Sunday. I wanted to play 'Along Comes Mary' so i started pulling up tabs for the top 10+ songs from each of the sixties and playing them at home.
    I am doing setlists on my tablet. I found '66 to really have some great tunes.
    It seems like the US was not going to let the British Invasion run over them.
    Over and over is 2 minutes long...criticizing it doesn't define anything except...well...

bloomz and goodcheaptele like this.
  13. goodcheaptele

goodcheaptele Tele-Meister

Forget the lyrics...the melody is still a nice one.

14. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

It’s kinda like why the NY Yankees are so often trolled. 27 world championships and a .570 winning percentage from 1903-2020 pretty much makes you a target for trolling. Same with boomers. We just keep on winning whether it be music or putting men on the moon. Everytime you see boomer-bashing going on, just know that it’s because we’re so awesome!

Rowdyman, GibbyTwin, bloomz and 6 others like this.
  15. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

I’m guessing the OP never heard The Shaggs.

16. blowtorch

we simulated the echo, just with raw vocals.
    it was very cheesy, but that is that band's forte' :cool:

17. DeckerPhan92

DeckerPhan92 TDPRI Member

Ive heard some really ****ty pop songs from the 50’s, but I’ve also heard Sleep Walk. The biggest difference now is that we dont have good mainstream music to counter balance all the lame ****.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  18. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

...and yet, Alex Van Halen cites Dave Clark as one of his inspirations to take up playing the drums. One may never know where the sparks come from that ignite the fire down below.

bloomz and oldgofaster like this.
  19. markleehunter

markleehunter TDPRI Member

"90% of everything is crap." --Kurt Vonnegut
    "We had joy, we had fun, we had flowers in the sun" -- talk about timeless poetry from 60s pop. Don't listen to a lot of drivel these days. But it's still there, though the names on it have changed.

20. blowtorch

wasn't judging, was more saying wow guys, I feel bad for you

The music of the time in which one is young and gets drunk and laid for the first time is generally everyone's favored music. I mean it just stands to reason

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.