How you find your missing Leatherman tools?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Jun 28, 2019.

1. JSMac

JSMac TDPRI Member

My advice would be to buy a new one and hope that the "vintage" '80s one would show up. Hard to replace a trusty old tool that has served you well for so many years.

2. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

I engraved my name and phone number on my Leatherman Wave tool I got many years ago. I've lost it twice, and it was found and returned both times. That's a real credit to the honest people around here.

Lost it once when I placed it on my travel trailer's bumper. It fell off in the center of Hwy US 26 by Zig Zag, OR. A person found it, called me that afternoon, and we met later. I gave him $20 for being honest ( don't bag on me; I have no idea what the going rates are for honesty......) & for calling me and returning it.

I lost the tool again in some snow on a mtn. road one March. A guy found it, called me, and I picked it up in late April. I gave him $20 also, and had already bought another Leatherman. I shudder to think how much money I have into that tool.......

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Alamo and rangercaster like this.
  3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I did that with the little Micra models came out a long time ago now. They spent their lives in my wife's car and wherever she put the other one. At least she's been staying with me for a month shy of 30 years.

If the morning is slow I'll look at all the new models. I really like (liked) the rather simple Skeletool. Those sort of buck the how much stuff in a tool trend. The pliers is useful if you need it. Then you have blade, bottle opener and screw driver.

4. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

I always like to turn to whoever is nearby and accuse them with something like "Give it back you thievin' bastard!" Then I spot it right where I set it down.

imwjl likes this.
  5. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Found mine! It wasn't with the picks and pickguard screw after all....was with the missing unmatched socks...

imwjl likes this.
  6. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Our Transit Co. when we’d earn some prize of most ridership, miles w/o road call, safety award, and a new manager would inevitably award us a new Leatherman, SOG tool, Swiss Army knife widget. The last 2 are still in their presentation boxes. I did manage to give a few a ride, never to be seen again.

7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I have my suspicions.

Just hours from buying a replacement, one of the twins said he didn't know why he saw it in the dining room table's drawer where of course, it does not belong. His brother Baby B has been known to do projects in that dining room table where those don't belong there either.

The Skeletool has been really nice. They are basic, light weight, yet strong.

[​IMG]

8. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Buy a new one, the old one will show right up.

9. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

It's always in the last place you look, so if you check there first, you will save a lot of time.

HappyHwy1owner likes this.
  10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

a while back I'm down at my roadside mail box and I spotted a glint in the roadside dirt, thinking it might be glass I dug it out... to find a Leatherman folding knife with all the extra stuff...MMM?..

I asked one neighbour if it was theirs, but no it wasn't... so, I put it on a small table I use for soldering and forgot about it..

6 mths later I'm down at the mail box talking to my mail man through his side window and the other neighbour across the road comes over to his car and asks about a package he's waiting for... His new Leatherman to replace his old one he lost...

Wait here I said.. don't anyone move.... dashed up to the house to get the Leatherman I'd found....came back and not to let the mailman out of the conversation passed it through the car window for him to pass to the neighbour.... so funny.... then I walked around to the other side of the car......

His eyes lit up... grabbed the knife, opened a certain blade where the tip was missing.. YES!! it's my old knife.... the guy was nearly in tears of joy.... explaining as his old belt pouch often let his knife fall out when bending over, etc.... I was happy to reunite it with it's rightful owner...:)

I've got another one as well... a young bloke came to lop some trees and do some chainsaw work a while back..... the next morning I noticed a few sharpening tools for the chainsaw and a Leatherman knife out on the lawn!.... I rang him to say he'd left some gear behind.... but he's never been back to get it, years later?....:rolleyes:

I guess that one's mine now?....:D

imwjl likes this.
  11. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

When my dog Lily was about 2 yrs. old we were putzing around in the front yard when she spotted 4 or 5 neighborhood kids and their Mom playing off the side of the driveway about 100 yards away. Not one to be left out when playing with kids might be in the cards Lily darts off like the mailman drove by. I'd been trying to break her of this behavior and yelling, I take off after her while at the same time removing my belt to use as a makeshift leash. I arrive a good CAM00347-1-1 (2).jpg maybe minute later and Kid's mom says "please don't hit her with your belt" (at Lilys young age she was already considered the Mayor of the neighborhood).
    I laughed and explained that my belt was to use as a leash and that I don't beat my dog and walking away I realized that my leatherman tool was missing from my belt.
    Couple days later I notice said dog paying lots of attention to a particular spot in the grass where she sniffed out the leather pouch with the tool inside. Good damn dog I'm telling you.

Flyboy, imwjl and trev333 like this.
  12. Flyboy

Flyboy Tele-Meister

Mine went missing - well, was confiscated - many years ago when I went through airport security with one in my rucksack. That was a tough loss to swallow. This was in the days before the offered to post the item to your home address for a fee. I've stuck with cheaper brands since. Just in case.

13. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My dad always found his missing tools while mowing the grass. One time, he found a screwdriver that turned into a missile and embedded into the side of the house.

He always blamed my brother or me for taking the tools and losing them, but that stopped after we moved away. I guess his tools continued to go missing after we were long gone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.