1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How you can play Oasis with Tele?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Tbreis, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Any quest for a “perfect tone” will take years off your life...tweak your amp and guitar as close as you can get it and then work on playing technique.

2. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

well just for discussion - we're talking about the lead tones in this video, more or less from about 1:44 to 2:30 ish or so?

perfect tone? if that's your idea of fun, ok, but what amp are you using?

Probably pretty much as suggested above: mids forward, light crunch - but if we don't know what you're working with, it's going to be kinda hard to say this knob on that, and this knob just short of here, etc., and anyway, your particular amp might be slightly different.

UK video, the guy is pretending to play a Les Paul; US "official version" he's pretending to play a Firebird with open top hum buckers. Doesn't matter. I'd start with your middle position (both pickups on) and crank up the mids on your amp. However you visit crunch land, go there. Use a pedal? does the pedal have any EQ?

all these things matter. Ain't no one formula to get where you want to go.

3. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think the hate comes from equal parts Gallagher bros drama and every fairweather guitarist's penchant to try to impress girls at parties by playing "Wonderwall".

Bryan A and Festofish like this.
  4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

We'll see things, I'll never see.... always loved that line... :)

stepvan and Festofish like this.
  5. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

Agreed. As above. If for example you're playing Oasis in a gig...I bet no one is going to comment on ' his guitar sound is bang on '...the public will enjoy the gig...that's it. If you're playing in the bedroom...in front of friends...as long as you play the chords/ licks as it is on the record it will sound like Oasis ! I've played Wonderwall, Live Forever, Don't look back in Anger, She's Electric and Champagne Supernova over the past 20 years on four different amps and not once has someone come up to me and said my ' guitar sounds just like 'em'...they're too busy singing along....and no one cares !

6. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

7. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

This is always the first question to ask. Everyone wants the 'perfect' guitar, but the key to a big, crunchy sound is using the right amp.

8. franblanc

franblanc TDPRI Member

Noel delivered the best rock 'n roll quote of all time. "Everything I wanted in life was coming out of the speakers."

Mjea80 and TokyoPortrait like this.
  9. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Guitar irrelevant, all about the amp IMHO

Matthias likes this.
  10. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Holic

I was living in Toronto when that nutjob jumped Noel from behind on stage and broke his ribs.
    I don't get the hate either, seems more childish than the brothers themselves.

Bryan A and Cyberi4n like this.
  11. BobTheOwl

BobTheOwl Tele-Meister

I play in a 90s indie/britpop covers band and play a few Oasis songs. I more or less exclusively use a 52 reissue tele with broadcaster blend wiring through either a Blues Junior or 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb. I use the bridge and sometimes blend a little neck pick up in. The sound is easy to get with a good overdrive and a little delay. In a pub full of drunk football fans no one knows or really cares what guitar you're playing.

Don't Look Back in Anger was apparently recorded on a Strat and Noel often played Teles during the later days of Oasis.

Matthias and tweeet like this.
  12. teleMc

teleMc Tele-Meister

Ya don't say?

13. borducks

borducks TDPRI Member

If I had to pick one guitar to cover Britpop it would have to be Tele. Add a comp and EQ and it reaches from Rick jangle to rock snarl.

BobTheOwl likes this.
  14. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

The first step is to acquire a oversized ego.

15. fatz treeboy

fatz treeboy TDPRI Member

i got a comment for you :). i love oasis, ( when dude isn't preaching on stage to much :)..... i read they used 10 inch 100 watt bluebells.... both vox and fane made then in the early 90's look up Fane atx alinco12's and 10's.... fane made them for vox for just 2 years.... then celestion did it again.... hi power 10's n 12's u ordered as an option.... expensive option.... ( i think it is ATX)... they were the pro option if u ordered an ac-30...... i found 2 of them w/ two celestion 60 watt alinco tens from the 90's ... in a big open bk 4x10 cab......

my comment is think about ur speakers also..... if u got the cash get the best ones u can afford :). good ones r 300 and up new.... in used combos sometime there r amazing expensive speakers...... :)

16. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

it was their sheer arrogance that made people hate them. It was earned.

I thought some of their music was absolutely great.

Urshurak776 and Bryan A like this.
  17. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Wonder whine.

gregulator450 likes this.
  18. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

turn it up, don't be scared of some gain and play with attitude .... there's nothing more to it than that.

buster poser likes this.
  19. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

You can’t.

You’ll need to buy a new guitar and install custom-designed Oasis pickups.

Probably need a few new pedals and a new amp too.

20. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Lots of great advice ITT. If it hasn't been mentioned, get an iRig or similar and run it through Tonebridge (which is 100% free as near as I can tell). There's a specific patch "pedal" for Live Forever (and dozens of others). It's close enough.

My friend on the east coast who's new to guitar--and an Oasis fanboy--is a bit obsessed with replicating tones at the moment; he's got it in his head that he needs to practice these songs as they sound on the record (he has an HSS strat). I ain't arguing, but he got an iRig for Xmas, I'd had one for our bass. I downloaded the software and sent him a vid of me playing the Live Forever solo (on a Jaguar), and I think he's discovering you have to learn to play as well. ;)

Good luck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.