How Y'all doing down Lousiana way this morning?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telemnemonics, Aug 30, 2021.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Ida turned out worse last night that at least I realized, based on middle of the night news I saw.
    A couple of resident TDPRI'ers posted from their phones as it started but haven't yet checked in this morning.
    @Sidney Vicious we haven't heard from you since 8pm!
    You OK?
    Anybody down there got news?
    I sure hope nobody got hurt or worse but that's probably not the case.

2. frank a

frank a Tele-Meister

Hope you guys in the gulf are OK.

aging_rocker likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

I'm not sure how much damage who all got but I saw that the surge reversed the flow of the Mississippi.
    And rather than weakening at landfall it got stronger?
    Not as big as Katrina in square miles but stronger and much slower moving, so the damn thing arrived and sat there smashing stuff.
    I know quite a few folks stayed in their homes and also that hospitals are pre-stressed due to other stuff.

Wish I could help!

aging_rocker likes this.
  4. swervinbob

swervinbob Friend of Leo's

I hate it for you guys. I’m glad it stayed East though. I’m always working in the Lake Charles area and that place is still a mess a year after Laura. These storms seem to be getting more powerful and staying that way as they move inland. I live about 50 miles inland in Texas. Rita tore us up pretty good in 2005, but luckily where I live we’ve been spared from too much wind damage since then.

5. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

i hope all are safe

aging_rocker and telemnemonics like this.
  6. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

SW Misissippi checking in. Lot of wind and rain last night, but luckily no damage (had a bunch of trees near the house cleared this Spring). Time to break out the generator for the long wait.

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Good luck to everyone concerned! It takes a lot of nerve to live where you KNOW a storm is coming!

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Afflicted

Posting from my laptop in Duck Dynasty country. We're safe. Our younger son decided to stay, since his father in law came down to stay with him and his family. A tree limb went through his roof and a tree fell on his driveway. They are all okay.

He sent us pictures of his house and walked down to ours. Our house is fine, but part of the wooden fence fell and a tree on city property broke like a match stick and fell on the nest door neighbor's house.

Haven't heard from oldest son who lives 40 miles away. He did text that he lost internet service. News reports are that AT&T services is out altogether down there.

9. telemnemonics

Not sure where you're county is, are you in the worst of the Ida track or a bit off the center of the damage?
    No electricity but you have internet and a generator?
    Glad you're OK!
    Thanks for letting us know...

Chester P Squier likes this.
  10. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

i live in Los Angeles and the wife and I werelistening to
    some of the radio stations in the area a couple of hours
    before the storm hit yesterday and then around 8:00pm our time,
    all of the radio station were unreachable. Period.

We felt so bad for you guys that chose to endure such a storm.

We have been listening in through Radio Garden, an app
    on our cellphone that covers the entire world. It could come in
    handy for those times of trouble.

Some stations that were our favorites last night include:

WSGO AM 990 New Orleans

KKAY AM 1590 New Orleans

WRKF FM 89.3 Baton Rouge

WRKF is still broadcasting Special Coverage of Hurricane Ida.

11. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

It’s going to be tough for some to check in because cell service is spotty at best in the areas that took the brunt.

We’ve been there done that. It’s no fun being cut off when people are trying to check on you, or you’re trying to check in to tell people you’re okay.

Greggorios, drewg, studio and 2 others like this.
  12. aeyeq

aeyeq Tele-Meister

AL coast here, lots of rain, 35 mph gusts, basically tropical storm conditions. No damage, no power loss, lucky.

studio, telemnemonics and dkmw like this.
  13. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Communications during these events is spotty at best. Hopefully the AARL is up and active
    After Maria there was no cell service, landlines, and internet was nonexistent. The few AT& T towers that were up got repaired, generators refueled and cell service, while still pretty ragged, was available after a few days. Ham operators got their towers back up and were very helpful in getting people connected

studio and telemnemonics like this.
  14. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

I have a cousin in Orange Beach. I’m going to call his sister in Georgia to check and see if he got flooded from the rain. They’ve had some water issues off of other recent storms.

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

New Orleans native sheltered with an old friend in Jackson.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Everyone we've heard from in So. Louisiana so far, is fine. People and pets I mean. Property and power and water and communications and jobs, wait and see.

The storm came ashore where expected but packing a much tougher punch. And then it went more Northerly as opposed to NW than most expected. The best way to describe it is a really large, lasting tornado and took a ridiculous length of time to lose intensity. The storm surge impacted a considerably smaller area, and massive rainfall was limited to just particular areas. So the main thing is crazy winds. What surprised me was breakouts of intense wind, far outside that 40 mile wide pocket I had in mind. You're gonna see some streets spared and some with capricious, extensive amounts of damage.

Meanwhile, in Harrison, Hancock and Jackson Counties, MS, wind is pushing water up the streams and rivers while the rainfall is trying to rush out. Check Waterdata.gov for levels.

This is a new sort of animal we have created. These things are supposed to lose intensity as they approach and continue inland. Never seen one sustain like this before.

Greggorios, drewg, catdaddy and 5 others like this.
  17. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Afflicted

I’m in West Monroe, in north Louisiana. Out of the path of hurricane winds. A little rain. My son was able to text. He walked the 4 blocks to our house to assess the damage. Only damage to our property was a fallen wooden fence.

Thanks for asking.

getbent, studio, Zipslack and 4 others like this.
  18. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, Rita came right over us and stomped on us for about 8 hours at Lake Sam Rayburn. No major damage, but power was off for two-three weeks. It's my prayer that our brethren in Louisiana all survive and fare better than we did.

19. swervinbob

swervinbob Friend of Leo's

Yeah, being without power for almost a month taught me a lot about making sure I have at least one, if not more, working, well maintained generator and plenty of gas.

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Just to clarify, we've gotten some e-mail posts, of folks have been checking on one another. We're not getting through on the cell phone. A T & T has failed once again, after they assured us they'd learned some lessons.

Look for a lot of damage in the towns along the Mississippi and back aways from it, between Kenner and Gonzales. Neither NOLA nor Baton Rouge proper took the hit. LaPlace, Vacherie, these are the areas I'm more concerned about than I was earlier.

Greggorios, drewg, dkmw and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.