how would you wire this esquire control plate if adding a neck pickup?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by LarryJunior, Feb 14, 2020.

1. LarryJunior

LarryJunior TDPRI Member

it has a volume and tone knob only,is there a cool way to wire this up when adding a neck pickup? i can only think of volume for each pickup but then i have no tone control. or do i need to just use a standard plate with a 3 way switch installed? stacked pots like the old jazz basses?ideas? 20190422_1024031.jpg

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Really, the most useable way for me would be to have one master volume knob and a blend knob as a pickup selector.
    But then, I never use the tone knob anyway.

3. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic

It would depend on how much lead is left on the bridge pickup. Best case drill a new hole for the tone knob half way between where it is now and the volume. Then put a 3 way toggle where the tone knob is now.

If it’s a short lead do the opposite and move the volume.

I’ve decided I’m not smart enough to do a fender 3way switch by myself any more.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

+1 the above is a good way. Then your neck pickup becomes your 'tone'.

You can get a stacked tone pot so you have a the ring as the tone and the tip is your pickup selector (you'll need to look for a schematic, I haven't done that one, look for a blender style).

Push/pull tone pot so the 'down' is your bridge pickup you use all the time, and then 'up' is the neck pickup.

Something to try ... mount your neck pickup underneath the pickguard. Looks like an Esquire but has a stealth neck pickup.
    Works best if you get a Strat pickup, remove the cover, and try to get it as close under the pickguard as possible. Then lower your bridge pickup to keep volumes about equal.

I would keep your volume pot as a generic CTS pot as that gets all the action when playing. The multifunction pots are often more fragile and wear out faster.

Of course, if you get a standard V-T-Switch style plate, you can put a 4-way switch in so you get a humbucker out of your pickups. Lay it out for V-T-Switch to the back and the switch won't get in your way up front where the action is. The "Kirchen Mod", my auto-mod on a Tele.

5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Change both pots to push pull pots, one for each pickup, still have tone and volume.

6. LarryJunior

LarryJunior TDPRI Member

"+1 the above is a good way. Then your neck pickup becomes your 'tone'."

are you referring to the blender setup RodeoTex suggested? i kind of like that idea...keeps it simple for sure. thanks. i think i may rout it out and put a p90 in there.(not myself,my tech)
    i like this guitar as a one pickup esquire but i feel i would definitely use it more with a second pickup.i'm thinking of changing to a black pickguard and pickup

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Given that a new control plate is around $10, I'd just order one, plus a three- or four-way switch, and be done with it. You'll spend more time messing about this way, and if it's someone else's time, then it's your money.

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  8. LarryJunior

LarryJunior TDPRI Member

your right about that...maybe i will just go with a standard plate..

9. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

A neck blend (a bit like the early broadcasters) might be cool, but really, I think it wants a 3 way switch (or even a 4 way) with two pickups.

10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Try toneshapers.com. I just bought a bunch of parts, and they had the best price I could find, for a chrome-plated brass control plate, of the correct thickness. $12.69. Lots of cheaper ones, but not the same material.

No affiliation, just a customer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.