How Would You Talk Someone Out of a Harley Benton?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by skitched, Feb 20, 2020.

1. skitched

skitched Tele-Meister

I keep going back to the HB TE-70RW because I really want a Tele with a 43mm nut, but don’t want to wait until the magical day that $2k wouldn’t feel like too much for a fender. About me, I’m only a couple months into this Guitar journey and have been loving my Seagull S6 which also has a 43mm nut, my wife has a squire mustang with a 42mm nut, which I can play okay but the 43mm feels so much more comfortable. I’m guessing I would get used to whichever size I play most often, but the wider nut feels more comfy in my XXL sized hands.

I love Teles since I’m an old country fan, and I’ve played a strat a little bit as well as my friends thinline Tele and the strat feels very strange when sitting while the thinline felt much more natural and similar to my dreadnought seagull.

Anyways, why would you suggest that I not buy the Harley Benton?

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I don't know what "43mm" is in American money, but I like my two Telecasters, PRS SE One, and Grote 335-type, all of which have 1 11/16" wide nuts. The two Teles have necks that I custom ordered from Warmoth, with nut widths, neck depths and scale lengths specifically to my specifications. So, if the Harley Benton in question is 1 11/16" wide, you're good-to-go. Otherwise, I can't help. ;)

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  3. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

I would say: “calmly place Harley Benton on the floor, lie face down
    with your hands behind your back. A Fender negotiator will be with
    you shortly”

4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Buy ‘em all. Play ‘em all. Sell the ones you don’t like. Repeat.

5. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

American Fenders are 42.8mm, Mexican ones are 42mm.

6. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Buy the best Fender you like and can afford, in the long run you'll be saving money.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

It's not the 1mm difference in width. It's the carve shape on the back of the neck that you are feeling. Figure out how that is different and you'll have a better understanding for any future guitar purchase.

Squier vs Fender: Squier carves from the front edge of the fretboard at an acute angle back. Fender branded models start carving behind the fretboard glue line so the fretboard edges are square and there is a lot more wood on the rear shoulders.

Many non-Squier starter guitar priced brands do a better job of matching MIM/MIA specs.

There's a brand called "Spectrum" that sold sub $75 Strats through walmart/target/best buy that has chunky necks and full thickness bodies while Squier is thin all over.

Harley Benton is a good band to buy to experiment.
    Glarry is another one to look for, $65 strats including shipping on Amazon.

Marblatx, skitched and PhredE like this.
  8. Believer

Believer Tele-Meister

I have eight Harley Bentons of various types; all have been good guitars that have scratched different itches for little money. In my opinion, they are about as good as any sub-$500 guitar on the market. Of course they don't have the resale value of an American Fender or Gibson, but the bang-for-the-buck is excellent.

9. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

I wouldn't.........suggest to NOT buy it.

go ahead, get it.;)

kodiakblair and tintag27 like this.
  10. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

We aren't exactly experts on talking people OUT of buying telecasters here...

Maybe try the strat talk forum?

;)

Honestly, US teles can be had for around $1k. See if the spacing is to your liking. You may find that the nut spacing isn't what you're after. Wider nuts on current production stuff starts at the AmPro series, but older and used stuff will reside south of that $1500 mark.

Mustangs have a shorter scale, less string tension, and substantially different feeling necks than teles, and squier necks are shaped different too, from what I've seen. I run different gage strings on my mustang and duosonic than the tele, strat, and toronado. Helps make them not feel noodly.

Most of the people on here who have gotten good at building teles seem to put all the stock in the neck and weight more than the nut.

11. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

It's up to you mate. Your money, your choice.

They are amazing vfm guitars imo, snobbery aside. I wouldn't blame anyone for buying one.

Are they as good as Fender? Probably not, on various points, but are they better value than overpriced Fenders. Definitely imo!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    kodiakblair likes this.
  12. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I suspect that the only way to get one will be ordering online, this is not ideal when buying any guitar. A budget import is an even greater risk. If you don't mind the possible hassle of having to send it back one or more times then have at it.

For my money i'd rather buy an Allparts neck I know and trust and go from there. I'm not a fan of poly and would end up changing out most of the hardware on the Harley Benton, possibly reshaping the headstock too so they are not such a great deal for me. I assemble partscasters with nitro finishes and brand name pickups for around $500 bucks.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  13. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Get one... they're really good.

14. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

i have had some really dodgy ones

15. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Holic

Friends don't let friends buy HB. Now hand over all forms of currency and stay away from Paypal until you come to your senses and decide to purchase a Fender.

Heck no one knows what will be considered valuable in the future. "Just think how many of us wish we had or could have purchased a(or several) new strat or tele in the 50/60's @ somewhere around the $200.00 mark." I'll take them all sir"

16. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

For the $150 or so it costs, no real harm in giving the HB a shot. Not exactly sure what your real budget is but if the 43mm nut is important to you, I'd be looking for a used American Tele (42.8mm nut width). You should be able to find a decent US tele for less than $1,000. Or, consider getting a used Player Tele and just buying a custom tele neck with a 43mm nut via Warmoth or similar. Lots of ways to do this and get a real Fender for far less than $2K.

17. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Get a 2nd hand HB. No brainer.

18. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

You say you are "a couple months" into your guitar journey and you can discern a 1 mm difference? that's the internet for you.

I would say more likely that our colleague @jvin248 is more accurately describing your experience, but all in all we can only guess.

Nut width is only a tiny part of the whole experience. I'd be inclined to think you might want to have a whole lot more of playing time and experience before arriving at the conclusion that a 1 mm difference is critical. In general terms, the human palm is about 95 mm wide (ok, you say your hands are XXL, so maybe 104?) or so and effectively wrapped around a guitar, you're saying a 1% difference means something.

Maybe it does. Not for me to discount your experience.

My 2 cents, just keep playing, playing, playing.

FFS, just go buy the guitar. We're not deciding the fate of the free world here.

NewKid and tintag27 like this.
  19. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I think that you are unlikely to notice the difference between 42 and 43mm, more likely the neck shape was what you felt good or bad about.

As for Harley Benton, I have the TE-80 apart from the fact it weighs too much it is a nice guitar, much better value than low end squiers fro the money. So buy the HB, play it, enjoy it, and learn what it is that you like about various features of guitars from playing it.

tintag27 and Alamo like this.
  20. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This was my initial thought, exactly. For me the neck profile has much more to do with whether I like a neck than either the radius or the width. I've been tempted on and off by the Harley Bentons, but they are a little more$$ to ship to Canada than they are to the US, so I've resisted to this point ;) The average HB would still run me less than a Squier Affinity or Standard series guitar, but although the necks on the lower end Squiers are different than "real" Fenders - I still like them. So when the time comes for another low end modding guitar, I'd likely stick with a Squier.

However, I did have the opportunity to play a Harley Benton strat copy recently and I was really impressed with the quality at that price point. I played it through 68 Princeton Custom and it played and sounded really good - dare I say the tone was even inspiring? The Roswell Alnico pickups are nothing to turn your nose up at.

(Sorry - I'm probably not really talking you out of it!)

skitched likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.