How would you shape these headstocks 3 at a time?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by BeeTL, Jul 19, 2009.

  1. Jack Wells

    Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

    Posts:
    18,425
    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    Location:
    Albuquerque, USA
    That template method pictured above in the drawings looks good in theory by may not work in reality depending on the neck you're reshaping. Tuner hole spacing may not be the same on all necks. Holes on different necks don't always start the same distance from the nut. When reshaping some necks to the more familiar shape, you may need to shift your template around some so you get the closest facsimile.

    If I'm reshaping a headstock, I use a full neck template attached to the back of the subject neck at the headstock and the heel. I feel the router table is the way to go............ shallow cuts and downhill routing..........especially on the end.
     
  2. Nick JD

    Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

    Posts:
    17,552
    Joined:
    May 12, 2007
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    +1

    If you are not using a table, you'll need to make the template wider on the tuner side for something for the router base to balance on.

    I've done headstocks with a hand-held router - believe me, going around that thin tip is like walking a tightrope!
     
  3. BeeTL

    BeeTL Tele-Holic

    Posts:
    546
    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2008
    Location:
    Oldsmar, FL
    OK, I get it, and that makes perfect sense.

    I'm going to finish up project #s 2 & 3 this weekend, then start on my neck templates.

    I think I will go the full neck template route based on the "tightrope" comments.

    THANKS!!!
     
  4. crussell

    crussell Tele-Meister

    Posts:
    135
    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2008
    Location:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    BeeTL, if you don't have a router table and space is a premium, my first router table was a 2'x2' piece of 3/4" MDF with 4 holes drilled in it; 1.5" center hole for router bit and 3 countersunk holes to attach the router from the bottom. I used 2 pieces of 2x4 on the bottom and placed the whole thing over a steel trashcan. The 2x4's were spaced to keep it from sliding left or right. A couple cinder blocks in the bottom of the can to keep it stable, with a bag over this then the table surface and you have a compact router table with built in dust collection. Not a permanent solution, but worked in a pinch when I was living off E3 pay and lucky to be able to afford a router...

    For a fence, I just drilled a 2" hole in a 1x4, then ripped it down the middle and held it to the table with C-Clamps.

    Looking back, it almost sounds like something ScatterLee would build...
     
  5. guityak

    guityak Tele-Meister

    Posts:
    383
    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2009
    Location:
    Albany WA
    Watch out for those routers

    Here is a mishap of mine from the weekend. You must be 100% concentrating and not in a rush at all or the router in a fraction of a second does this.:cry:

    My template was attached to the back of the neck and I was using a table with a 12.7mm pattern following bit in the router.
     

    Attached Files:

  6. BeeTL

    BeeTL Tele-Holic

    Posts:
    546
    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2008
    Location:
    Oldsmar, FL
    As it turned out, I ended up using a full-scale neck template on the bottom with a single dowel.

    I held the template at the base of the neck and the dowel held it in place at the headstock.

    For this shape, moving clockwise around the template worked best.

    Every time It tried to move counter-clockwise I had "chatter", even if I was moving "downhill".

    Also, I modified my original design a bit to accommodate a 1/2" router bit and spindle sander.

    Here are pics:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  7. BeeTL

    BeeTL Tele-Holic

    Posts:
    546
    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2008
    Location:
    Oldsmar, FL
    Looking at the photos, I thought the proportions of the bass headstock weren't quite right.

    When compared with the prototype, the bottom didn't look right, so I tweaked the bass headstock to more closely mirror the proportions of the guitar.

    I was able to set up shop, do the work, tear down and clean up in less than an hour.

    A subtle change, but well worth it I think:

    [​IMG]
     
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.