How would you play this simple scale run?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Fluddman, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Holic

I have played a solo for years that contains a fast scale run from G (12 fret 3rd string) to G (15th fret 1st string).

I always fluff this run at speed. How would you play it.

I use to play g & a on third string, b, c & d second string, e f# & g first sting (using my little finger for the d & high g)

Now trying g a & b on third, c d & e on second and f# g on first (no little finger)

How would you play this?

Do you use your little finger for fretting?

Cheers

Chicago Matt likes this.
  2. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted

I think I would elect to use my 4th finger in a balanced block pattern with no sliding or stretching, and pick less; only three times with a little practice. You won't even need to look at what you're doing.

Fluddman and Chicago Matt like this.
  3. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes I’d use all four fingers! That’s how I was taught many years ago and I think it’s good to make sure of all fingers rather than stretch or shift.
    Are you sure it’s the left hand that’s the issue? I often find it’s the picking hand that’s messing up as the speed increases...

Fluddman likes this.
  4. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes, all 4 fingers.

Fluddman likes this.
  5. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I would play it your first way, using my index, middle, and ring fingers.

Fluddman likes this.
  6. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

I sometimes use all 4 fingers in a block pattern if it's a fast lick that immediately moves on to something else. When I was first learning, I tried hard to follow the one finger per fret method. But for many, many years I find I'm using the fretting hand little finger for octaves and chords, but not much else. I believe it's improved my playing. I do more shifting and stretching, but it works for me. My little finger, no matter how many hours I used to work at strengthening it, is still relatively weak and doesn't physically articulate as well as the other three. This is especially true if I want to use heavy vibrato or bend the string. I'm not alone in this. In old videos of Wes Montgomery, I see him pretty much avoiding the fret hand little finger but for octaves or chords. A lot of rock and blues players do the same. I think we need to each find the way that works best for ourselves.

Fluddman likes this.
  7. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Well, I’d use all four fingers, because that was something an early guitar instructor drilled into me. Later in life, I had one that said “just do what works.....”.

Fluddman likes this.
  8. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

You don't say what your picking hand is doing. I remember a Tiny Rice (I think) interview where he said it looks like he is picking every note but that there are a lot of hammers and pulls going on. At speed you don't really hear it like that. It's not cheating. Look at where the awkward string crossing are and see if you avoid or ameliorate them.

AAT65 and Fluddman like this.
  9. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Holic

Thanks for all you responses particularly GoldDeluxe5e3 who made a youtube clip. I wasn't expecting that!

I am trying to pick every note - so for the picking hand, switching to three notes per string to begin the run does makes a big difference.

I was taught to use all four fingers (fretting hand) but like Chicago Matt, my little finger is not as articulate.

I guess picking once per string is the easiest way - but because I don't use a lot of gain it sounds better if I pick each note.

I'll get experimenting. Thanks for the input!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.