How would you fix this hole in hardwood floor/baseboard?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jondanger, Sep 4, 2016.

1. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

I'm finally starting to complete the repairs around our 95 year old house that I know how to do, and need to start some of the ones that I'm in the dark about. Here's a weird one. When we took the carpet out, we discovered this hole that is in the flooring, baseboard and door jamb. It is about 1/2" out from the wall at its widest, and 1 3/4" up from the floor at its tallest. I'd just put quarter round down and call it done, but I don't want to put quarter round on the door jamb, I think it would look weird. How would you approach this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

william tele likes this.
  2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Short of replacing the door jamb trim board I'd start by squaring off both of those holes with an oscillating saw. I'd remove enough of the jamb board to allow you to put a backer behind the wall and shoot some finish screws to hold that in place. I'd do similar with the floor. Then it's a matter of doing the best you can to replace the squared off chunks you've removed.

Sounds like a cool old house! Wish you had a farther back pic of that wall repair?

3. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

That would help me picture things, too.

Are you going to end up painting it all? Does the door trim have a weird profile - something you couldn't find or replicate? If it's all going to be painted, I'd be tempted to pull those boards and replace them.

Can you get to the hole from underneath (crawl space or basement)?

FWIW, my house (built in 1936) has shoe molding over the door trim.
    [​IMG]

william tele likes this.
  4. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

You could use an epoxy wood filler by Minwax, It's stainable and you could even do a faux grain on it to try and blend it in.

william tele likes this.
  5. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I believe I would start by investigating and determining what caused the holes in the first place and then dealing with that problem. I would be concerned with indications the house may have water damage or be suffering from rot.

william tele and Teleguy61 like this.
  6. jondanger

[​IMG]

Envelope for scale. That's a solid tip on the oscillating saw. I mostly didn't have a good idea of how to square up that hole short of some very careful chiseling. I actually have some HD gift cards from my birthday that I've been holding onto for the right tool.

Eventually I'd like to redo a lot of the wooden trim. I love it, but it seems like it hasn't been touched up since maybe the '70s and needs some TLC. I'd like to ideally sand and stain, but realistically some of this stuff is going to need to be replaced.

Thanks! Any more tips appreciated.

william tele likes this.
  7. william tele

Time wise, you could probably remove both those boards and replace them in the time it would take to do a nice patch but in your shoes I might just patch, simply because I've done that type many times and can go pretty quickly. Cosmetically countersinking screws and careful finish work are the time consumer. If you're going to paint anyway I'd definitely just do the careful patching.

Harbor Freight has a cheap oscillating saw and cheaper blades. I've done a ton of patches with mine!

8. william tele

That looks like the work of mice...

P Thought likes this.
  9. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

That could work, in fact it looks like someone already tried patching it above, and didn't bother sanding it. It would need some backer, because the hole looks pretty deep.
    It's odd that there's no bottom plate or framing under the hole. If the house is 95 years old, it was probably balloon framed, so no bottom plate, just a few studs between doors and windows.
    I've used the minwax filler on small outside repairs and it holds up pretty good.

william tele likes this.
  10. jondanger

There are some places that had some water damage to the plaster, but I've addressed those by tearing it out and putting in drywall. None of those spots are very close to this, but when I get in there I'll make sure I don't see anything alarming. This is the only spot in the house where there is anything that looks like this.

I can get to it from under the stairs to the basement, but I'm not sure I could get a backer in from that direction.

william tele likes this.
  11. jondanger

Yeah, unfortunately I agree. We've mostly addressed the mouse thing, which was probably worse before we moved in. Still have seen evidence from time to time, but we have 2 cats and they take care of biz.

william tele likes this.
  12. flathd

I use a Fein oscilating saw quite a bit, they work great for repairs like this. It was very expensive about 15 years ago when I bought it, about $ 300, and the blades were $30 a piece.

A couple weeks ago I went to buy some blades, and I saw they had a cheap oscillating saw on sale for $14.99 and it came with 4 blades. Guess what I bought? :rolleyes:

studio and william tele like this.
  13. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

I think I'd just replace the vertical piece. And, if that floor board is two pieces, I'd probably replace the bottom (flat) one.

Is your trim yellow pine? I had a hard time finding yellow pine lumber locally, but I was able to get it in some stair treads and planed them down to size.

william tele likes this.
  14. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

It looks like something bigger than mice.
    Echoing the post above, can you get to the area from underneath or behind?
    Basement or crawl space?
    If you don't find what caused the problem and fix that, it will just happen again.

william tele likes this.
  15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

You have a genuine "Rat Hole" there.... chew marks on the one piece.

Pry off the trim boards involved, use grip pliers to pull the nails in the board through the back (if you hammer them from the backside to the front you will badly chip your finish). Cut the ends in straight lines and glue on replacement pieces, stain/finish as best to match as possible. The floor piece you'll have to repair in place. You'll want to patch the plaster behind to fix that too. Then replace all the boards.

studio and william tele like this.
  16. jondanger

Here is the back side of it. This is right where the drain from the upstairs bathroom goes down to the basement.

[​IMG]

I think the mouse/rat explanation is possible. I mean, I live in Baltimore. We have rats, and plenty. But does it look to anyone else like maybe someone was cutting through to replace/repair that pipe, and got a little overzealous? If the pipe wasn't there, it would be a whole lot easier to get a backer in there.

17. william tele

House beaver?

18. william tele

That looks like plenty of room to hold a piece of plywood up there for a backer and have someone shoot finish screws down from above...

flathd likes this.
  19. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There's a punchline here, but I'm just not gonna do it...

tfsails and william tele like this.
  20. flathd

This photo helps alot, it looks like someone repaired it before.

Just replace bottom trim piece, and cover floor hole with mouse trap. ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.