1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How would I cut bass strings without wire clippers?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Magnawolf, Feb 23, 2012.

1. cband7

cband7 Friend of Leo's

Joe-Bob's Easy Rider Fence Hatchet and Bass String Cutters. Maintain Your Barbed Wire Fencing , Chop Firewood, Carve Your Paulonia Telecaster Bodies and Trim Bass Strings all in one handy pocket sized tool!!*

* pocket must be cargo shorts sized, unfortunately.....

Attached Files:

2. Astro1176

Astro1176 Tele-Holic

3. CDKopf

CDKopf Tele-Holic

This thread is 2 months old....PLEEEASE tell us how you cut those strings !!

4. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

Place bass string in your right hand. Carefully insert the string end into your right ear. Quickly jerk your hand updward all the while keeping sufficient pressure on the string allowing your skull to shear it off as the string is bent and forced upwards. Remove any excess ear wax and string the bass up.

For the future, if you right ear wears out, simply move on to the left.

I've been using this technique for years and I've never had a problem.

People often tell me I play too loud an ask me; "what are you deaf?", but they always mention how great my string ends look. That, my friend, is very satisfying.

5. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

Restring your bass and bring it to homedepot. There should be a set of wire clippers in "electrical" you could borrow.

kc

6. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

How did the recording session go?

You have to post the trax man!

7. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

He poked himself in the eye with a Bass String and never made the "Recording Session".
    I think we ran the OP off. He's not comming back.

8. Old_Skool_Noma

Old_Skool_Noma TDPRI Member

in a more serious note if the OP still hasn't bought new strings, just the old ones and put them in some boiling water to clean them, one of my friends that is an awesome bass player, does that to keep his sounding fresh rather than spending $25 on a set of strings every few months, admittedly not quite as good a new strings but it may be a nice compromise. If it works you just saved $25 if not, then you're out about 30 minutes of time.

9. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, you can boil 'em, as has been noted. This serves two pruposes, as not only do you get fesher sounding strings, you get a cheap pot of soup out of it that can feed you and any tool-prejudiced roommates.

On the other, you could go down to the river, find a beaver, and really piss him off. When he jumps to bite you, shove the string in his mouth. Watch your fingers, and repeat as needed for the other strings. Be careful to find a lone beaver though. You don't want a colony. Those bastards are nasty critters when they swarm.

Huh, new band name- Beaver Swarm. All this awesome advice will be... Let's see... $8 please.

10. Magnawolf

Magnawolf Tele-Meister

I actually ended up buying wire clippers. It was worth it.

As far as the recording session, it was pretty meh. I like recording in my bedroom better personally, I feel like I have more control.

http://betterbest.bandcamp.com/

11. Northerntele

Northerntele Tele-Holic

Not to rub it in or anything, but we told you so.

12. Thomme

Thomme TDPRI Member

I wrecked a good many pairs of scissors in my time changing guitar/bass strings with them. The G, B and E strings on guitars are darn hard to cut with scissors, if memory serves me. Invest in a set of string cutters, you'll thank yourself.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.