How Wives Operate

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
No, not a thread to help you figure out your wife. If you're married & haven't figured her out yet, well, that's on you. Besides, like many other men, you may never figure her out. If I ever offer relationship advice, then run. Run fast. Run far.

No, this is a thread about behaviour, hints, and intents.

It started sometime around springtime, 2020. We had lost our kitty to old age and were missing her. Xena d'Katt had chosen me as her person and spent her life following me around and occupying my lap. But, Mrs. Roadie had a problem with being cold shouldered by a cat and wanted a Ragdoll cat. Okay, whatever, get a cat, then. She did.

What we got was a Ragamuffin from a respected breeder. A Ragamuffin is a cross between a Ragdoll & a Himalayan, very large (think Maine Coon large), very docile/tolerant, and lots of fluffy fur. Surprisingly, she doesn't shed heavily, but rather "fleeces" for lack of a better description. Maine Coons are often described as molting in the springtime. She doesn't do that, either.

Turns out she is "hilariously fierce", meaning she puts 100% into stalking & attacking her toys. If you make eye contact with her and turn your back, she will charge at you and slap you gently on your calf (no claws) as she runs past you. She is a very smart cat, and it turns out her father's name was Yoda (where she gets her smarts?), and mom's name was Katniss Everdeen (her fierceness).

So Mrs. Roadie decides the kitty needs a playmate. As this conversation progresses, we find ourselves on a flight from San Diego to Portland in 1st class. I order a drink, the FA goes to get it, & Mrs. Roadie follows her to the front to use the head, and tells the FA to keep them coming as she is buttering me up for another cat. The FA brings me a double, then 2 more after that because it turns out her husband is a veterinarian and they have a Maine Coon.

The flight lands, and as we are leaving the FA says to me "enjoy your new kitty". Wait. What?

Fast forward to last week when I text her about something and end the text with "oh, and I bought a Fender Strat body becaus the GFS body I originally bought has the trem route is f*cked. either mislocated or sized incorrectly. (My mistake for even ordering it).

Her reply was the cat is broken because she won't sit on her lap or cuddle with her (seems the cat has chosen me as her person...) and she will be getting another.

I get home from work & she has our granddaughters helping her decide which catteries to check into for her new kitty.

So our original breeder has a boy kitty born in August from Yoda & Katniss. Looks like a trip to the Willamette Valley next week. I will post pix after he comes to his forever home.

Preemptive damage control: For the record, we are not entertaining being shamed here or anywhere else for not getting a shelter cat (or a dog because you hate cats, or that I bought a Fender body and you think GFS is all that & a bag of chips [they're not...]). If shelter cats are how you roll, that is awesome & I respect you for that. Unfortunately, shelter animals do not come with papers, and Mrs. Roadie wants to start doing cat shows as a hobby. We do not support cat mills, and our breeder is well-certified & respected within multiple sanctioning bodies and will not sell to a party if they fail her questions about the environment the animal will be subjected to, or the human's willingness/ability to care for it. There is nothing here to be shamed for. We consider it a life reward for keeping our act together for 30 years of marriage and raising 2 successful kids.

P.S. I could have bought a swamp ash Warmoth body for less $, but the thought of trying to finish a body in winter on the Oregon coast was a deal killer. Their finished models are out of my price range.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Look she was smart enough to get you .....:cool: to decide to ask her to marry you , now how did that happen? And you thought it was your idea, right?
You may wear the pants in the family:rolleyes: , 5 will get you ten, she picks them out.:p

Last edited:

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
We used to have a Maine Coon. Sadly, he died a few years ago when he was about 15 years old. He always loved this time of year as well as his summer "lion cut" my wife always gave him. He was every ones' cat, friendly with anybody who visited although some would be freaked out by his size.

P171211_10.58.jpg

P281011_21.06.jpg

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Thanks for that very informative post. I had no idea where cat ladies came from. Now I know. It’s all the husband’s fault.

For what it’s worth, dog ladies are different. My wife is a dog lady. She’s already making plans for when Jacques moves on. I don’t think he’ll see spring. We also have a Wheaten, Tiberias. I’ve posted about her many times. She’s a daddy’s girl. My wife won’t stop talking about our next dog. I told her no way. We’re both 71 and will be 72 in a few months. I just had four stents this year and she just got a breast cancer diagnosis. Eternity isn’t on earth if it exists at all. My son in NYC will take Tiberias. He has her sister living in his apartment. He’ll have to move but his inheritance will get him out of rental housing into a place where he won’t have a landlord. But condos or coops that allow three dogs are nonexistent. Pets are family. They stay with family. Jacques was my father in law’s dog. We took him in. There’s no one to take a second dog when we’re gone. No one. What dog ladies and cat ladies have in common is irrationality. And unlike with cat ladies. The husband’s not to blame.

boxocrap

Tele-Holic
Look she was smart enough to get you .....:cool: to decide to ask her to marry her , now how did that happen? And you thought it was your idea, right?
You may wear the pants in the family:rolleyes: , 5 will get you ten, she picks them out.:p
i have no opinion on this until she tells me what it is

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Providing critters a good and loving home is saintly work. Bravolingus!

I had no idea where cat ladies came from.

At a place I used to work there was a woman who took a fancy to me (I was single, she was single), and one day we were chatting about hobbies, etc., and she says, "It's just me and my cats at home..."

Everything she said after that was completely drowned out by my Inner Peegoo voice yelling loud and clear, "DANGER, Will Robinson! DANGER!"

GIF-Danger-Will-GIF.gif

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I love kitties. One befriended me and got me through an agonizing divorce. Another chose me IMMEDIATELY and was always there whenever I sat down to come nuzzle. Yet another took a few months to warm up, and became my best buddy (he died of kidney disease way too young). Now we have a "rescue cat" who has bonded with my wife. I want to get another cat, but wife has made the one we have into an indoor/outdoor cat and he has front claws which have shredded several things in the house.

Question in my mind is do I go ahead and get another cat?
The others before our current one will be hard acts to follow.
And with my luck, the new cat will bond with my wife and walk the same line.
Any cat whisperers out there with advice?

As for how my wife "operates," when I was single I was constantly looking for Miss Right.
Once I got married, I discovered her first name was "Always."
She is sweet as the day is long, but she is infuriatingly always right, so I bow to her wisdom.
It's made for a happy marriage going on 29 years now ...

Alex_C

Tele-Holic
We are down to 7 hairy kids. 5 dogs and 2 cats. We love them all, but I lean more towards the cat side while my wife leans more to the dog side. It's all good.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Thanks for that very informative post. I had no idea where cat ladies came from. Now I know. It’s all the husband’s fault.

For what it’s worth, dog ladies are different. My wife is a dog lady. She’s already making plans for when Jacques moves on. I don’t think he’ll see spring. We also have a Wheaten, Tiberias. I’ve posted about her many times. She’s a daddy’s girl. My wife won’t stop talking about our next dog. I told her no way. We’re both 71 and will be 72 in a few months. I just had four stents this year and she just got a breast cancer diagnosis. Eternity isn’t on earth if it exists at all. My son in NYC will take Tiberias. He has her sister living in his apartment. He’ll have to move but his inheritance will get him out of rental housing into a place where he won’t have a landlord. But condos or coops that allow three dogs are nonexistent. Pets are family. They stay with family. Jacques was my father in law’s dog. We took him in. There’s no one to take a second dog when we’re gone. No one. What dog ladies and cat ladies have in common is irrationality. And unlike with cat ladies. The husband’s not to blame.

I guess that you missed the memo? I keep a pet rock, he's poddy trained and is real mellow. He just sits sunning himself and watching the freeway traffic 5 floors below.
I have risen to my new level of irritating human behavior limit, ask rocky my pet rock.
Just because she thinks that your the bees knees today does not mean she she won't change her mind and decides you're the ideal fixer upper of her remodeling dreams.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz fixer upper.jpg